Find Astronomical Discrepancies at www.BadAstronomy.com

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary, the Bad Astronomer provides a summary of the content found on his website, badastronomy.com. He explains that the calculations for blowing up a planet depend on the mass and size of the planet being blown up. He also states that he is a favorite among astronomy forums and that if he's not being mentioned here in the PF A&C forum, then he is mentioned in the PF debunking forum.
Imparcticle
www.badastronomy.com is the best site for anyone who cares to find the astronomy related errors in movies, news, and other misconceptions.

The site goes over the astronomical discrepencies in Star Wars, Men In Black 1 and 2, The Mummy Returns etc.

ENJOY.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This excerpt is from badastronomy.com concerning the beginning of Men In Black 2. My question is, do the calculations depend on the planet's size?

Bad:
In the beginning, we see a montage of aliens blowing up planets. A beam weapon is fired, and the planets explode in giant pieces.

Good:
It's really hard to blow up a planet! It's possible that the alien technology did something like cause a chain reaction which totally disintegrated the atoms, or something like that.

But that's no fun. Well, it might be fun, but really, how much energy does it take to blow up a planet? I did this calculation once before, to show that a comet impact could not destroy a planet. To blow up a planet, you have to overcome the gravity of the planet for each piece. Let's put it another way: Imagine taking a rock and throwing it up so hard it escapes from the planet entirely. For the Earth, that means you have to give it a pretty big velocity, about 11 kilometers per second. It takes a lot of energy to do that, the amount of which depends on the mass of the rock and the amount of gravity you are fighting. Now take another rock, and do it again. And again. And againandagainandagain. Repeat for a gazillion times. If you do it enough times, the planet is gone. You've destroyed it. Congratulations!

It's possible to calculate that total energy you expended. It's called the gravitational binding energy, and is basically the amount of energy locked up in the planet's gravity. I'll spare you the math (but you can find it here if you'd like), but for the Earth that energy is roughly 1039 ergs. An erg is a tiny unit of energy, but 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 is a lot of them! For comparison, the Sun puts out about 4 x 1033 ergs every second, so the amount of energy needed to vaporize the Earth is about the total amount of energy the Sun emits in 3 days! That's a whole lot of energy. I doubt a single ship could generate that much. But who knows? They're aliens!

Originally posted by SquareItSalamander
This excerpt is from badastronomy.com concerning the beginning of Men In Black 2. My question is, do the calculations depend on the planet's size?
Yes, if by 'size' you mean mass. There's also a 'radius' dependency.
"I'll spare you the math (but you can find it here if you'd like) ..."
Did you find?

Originally posted by Nereid
Did you find? [/B]

the calculations? my computer wouldn't load to the site for some reason. thanks though.

The Bad Astronomer, Phil Plait, is a definite favorite among astronomy forums. He also publishes many articles, a book, and is invited to many radio interviews. Always good fun. If he's not being mentioned here in the PF A&C forum, then he's mentioned in the PF debunking forum. You'll find me & some other PF members in his discussion forums too.

1. What is "Find Astronomical Discrepancies" at www.BadAstronomy.com?

"Find Astronomical Discrepancies" is a section on the website www.BadAstronomy.com created by astronomer Phil Plait. It is a collection of articles that debunk common misconceptions and inaccuracies about astronomy and space science.

2. Who is Phil Plait and what are his credentials?

Phil Plait is an astronomer, author, and science communicator. He has a PhD in astronomy from the University of Virginia and has worked as a NASA contractor and an astronomer at the University of Maryland. He is also the author of several books, including "Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing 'Hoax'".

3. How can "Find Astronomical Discrepancies" benefit me?

The articles in "Find Astronomical Discrepancies" can help you gain a better understanding of astronomy and space science by debunking common myths and misconceptions. This can also help you avoid spreading false information to others.

4. Are the articles in "Find Astronomical Discrepancies" only for scientists?

No, the articles are written in a way that is accessible to a general audience. They are aimed at anyone with an interest in astronomy and space science, regardless of their level of scientific knowledge.

5. Can I submit an idea for an article to "Find Astronomical Discrepancies"?

Yes, you can submit suggestions for topics or ideas for articles to Phil Plait through his website www.BadAstronomy.com. However, please note that he receives a large number of submissions and may not be able to respond to all of them.