Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baghdad Falls

1. Apr 9, 2003 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Baghdad Falls ...and Iraqis rejoice.

Its not over yet though. There are still some pockets of resistance in Baghdad and a few other places. Tikrit is also still not taken. Beyond that though, from now on its just janatorial work (mopping up).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2003 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

Al Jazeera was showing the celebrations, and stating that they were genuine, that the citizens of Baghdad are glad to see the American soldiers. The Al Jazeera reporters seemed to feel the need to apologize to the Arab world for the joy of the local people, but on the whole, I think what they are reporting is promising.

I think when you consider that Al Jazeera is still in its infancy, was founded by a King, and is staffed by people born, raised and educated in autocratic countries, it does a very good job.

Njorl

4. Apr 9, 2003 #3
    From that site;

Not everyone rejoiced.

"This is the destruction of Islam," said Qassim al-Shamari, 50, a laborer wearing an Arab robe. "After all, Iraq is our country. And what about all the women and children who died in the bombing?"

5. Apr 9, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: Baghdad Falls

This guy is obviously one of those "glass is half empty" kind of people. He'll probably never be a happy person. And what is this business about "the destruction of Islam" ? This guy is either poorly informed or poorly equipped, or both.

6. Apr 9, 2003 #5
    Like many of us liberals have been saying.... Winning the war was always the easy part. Winning the peace will be the hard part. Here's an Arab perspective - http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAHZG9OBED.html excerpts:

7. Apr 9, 2003 #6
    Re: Re: Re: Baghdad Falls

Alias, my point was to show that Russ only focused on the rejoicing, when even within the link he provided there were clearly those who did not rejoice. I don't seek to negate the loss and emotional torment/agony of people by writing them off as being poorly informed. Clearly there is a lot of sorrow involved here despite my personal opinion that collectively Iraqis will be better off without Saddam.

8. Apr 9, 2003 #7

russ_watters

Re: Re: Baghdad Falls

Isn't that ironic. A muslim supporting a dictator who persecutse muslims. Clearly you can't please everyone.

9. Apr 9, 2003 #8

FZ+

I'd say Osama Bin Laden's pretty pleased right now.

10. Apr 9, 2003 #9

russ_watters

Tough to say. He lost another playpen.

11. Apr 9, 2003 #10
    Re: Re: Re: Baghdad Falls

I wasn't paying attention to that part of his statement, thinking it ridiculous. I was listening to this part of his statement;
    "And what about all the women and children who died in the bombing?"

12. Apr 9, 2003 #11
    While I too am saddened at the lost lives of innocents, I wonder why many find it so acceptable to kill and die in the name of terrorism, but find it so distasteful to kill or die in name of freedom.

13. Apr 9, 2003 #12

Njorl

Science Advisor

I'd say he certainly isn't. This was a clear demonstration of what the US can do. No nation will allow him to operate openly ever again. If the US stays in Iraq, and breaks all of its pre-war promises, that will make him happy.

It is ironic. Terrorists will attempt to keep the US in Iraq, and goad the US into oppressing the Iraqis.

Njorl

14. Apr 9, 2003 #13
    well he did make a lot of nasty comments about Saddam and also his family is probably getting more construction and oil contracts out of this; so i doubt he is really complaining any.

15. Apr 9, 2003 #14
    A pair of good NYTimes articles:
    In Iraq Towns, Allegiances Shift Quickly to Winning Side
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/09/i...09CND-TOWN.html
    Emotional Torrent Greets G.I. Arrival in Central Baghdad
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/09/i...CND-STREET.html

16. Apr 9, 2003 #15
    I find killing distasteful. Who would those people be anyway?

17. Apr 9, 2003 #16
    Bush is hero now and he will reap oil from iraq.

18. Apr 10, 2003 #17

russ_watters

Islamic extremists.

19. Apr 10, 2003 #18
    The same people who knew of Saddam's ongoing brutality while at the same time said, "Give inspections more time."

20. Apr 10, 2003 #19
    Oh, ok I get it now. I'm used to Alias blasting away at 'the libs', haha and mistook this for another blast at them. Something to consider after reading his quote again...
    ...is that perhaps those terrorists consider their acts to be performed for their own brand of freedom, not someone elses? I mean how many would willingly commit suicide to promote something they thought was awful?

21. Apr 10, 2003 #20
    I agree. The problem is that the terrorists tactics don't work directly, and they are too destructive.

However, now that I think about it, I guess their tactics do work rather well as long as there is strong, moral, and intelligent leadership on the other side. You see, because the correct solution to stopping terrorism also solves the terrorists problems, which is oppression by his government or whatever. So yes, terrorism is useful and instrumental in solving problems.

Shall I issue a fahtwah, or declare a jihad?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?