Balancing School, Work and Debt: A Community College Student's Struggle

In summary, the person is a sophmore at a community college and works 30 hours a week while taking 14-17 hours of courses. They have been able to manage their workload so far, but are concerned about the upcoming semester where they will be taking Calc II and Physics II, which are said to be more challenging. They are considering cutting back on work hours to make room for their studies and are worried about accumulating debt. They are aiming for a career in software engineering but may switch to computer science. The difficulty of the material will depend on the community college and the intended institution of transfer. The person also shares their personal experience with math and physics courses at different institutions. They suggest being solid in pre-calculus and calculus I
Fujimitsu
I'm currently a sophmore at a community college, I work 30 hours a week and take 14-17 hours worth of courses year round. So far I've had little trouble managing my coursework and my job, but my classes have been relatively light.

I'm wrapping up calculus I with a B in the next few weeks, took it online and I'm fairly comfortable with my understanding of the material. Next semester I'll be taking Calc II and Physics II, as well as a few other small courses. What should I expect? I hear that they are going to be much more challenging than what I've done previously. Should I seriously consider cutting back on my hours at work to make room? What's the difficulty of this material versus calc/physics I?

I'm a bit worried that starting next semester I won't be able to work much (or maybe at all) until I graduate, which leaves me with quite a pile of debt that I've so far been able to avoid.

I'm aiming at software engineering, although I may switch to CS depending on how the university transition goes next year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fujimitsu said:
I'm currently a sophmore at a community college, I work 30 hours a week and take 14-17 hours worth of courses year round. So far I've had little trouble managing my coursework and my job, but my classes have been relatively light.

I'm wrapping up calculus I with a B in the next few weeks, took it online and I'm fairly comfortable with my understanding of the material. Next semester I'll be taking Calc II and Physics II, as well as a few other small courses. What should I expect? I hear that they are going to be much more challenging than what I've done previously. Should I seriously consider cutting back on my hours at work to make room? What's the difficulty of this material versus calc/physics I?

I'm a bit worried that starting next semester I won't be able to work much (or maybe at all) until I graduate, which leaves me with quite a pile of debt that I've so far been able to avoid.

I'm aiming at software engineering, although I may switch to CS depending on how the university transition goes next year.

Be prepared for a rude awakening. Trust me on this.

It all depends on your Community College and intended institution of transfer.

For example, I've taken classes at both UMass and a local Community College (GCC). The mathematics department at GCC may only extend through four semesters of Calculus and Linear Algebra, but I've found the courses much more challenging at GCC. Multivariate Calculus, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra are 4cr courses at GCC, and 3cr courses at UMass. We cover more material, and more is expected of us at GCC. Physics I & II at GCC pulled problems from sophomore level texts in Statics and Circuit Analysis.

Anyways, Calculus II for me wasn't that difficult until the tail end of the class when we covered convergence tests. If you are solid on your Pre-Calc/Calculus I, and have a reasonable ability to visualize things, you should be okay.

Physics II was way more difficult than Physics I in my opinion. I think people should have Multivariate Calculus finished before taking Physics II, and some Universities have organized their curriculums to do just that. I passed with an A, but I'm still re-reading the text to actually absorb the material I regurgitated on the exams.

Related to Balancing School, Work and Debt: A Community College Student's Struggle

1. How can a community college student balance school, work, and debt effectively?

Balancing school, work, and debt can be a difficult task for community college students. To effectively manage these responsibilities, it is important to prioritize and create a schedule. This means setting aside specific times for studying, working, and managing debt, and sticking to those times. It is also important to communicate with employers and professors about your schedule and any conflicts that may arise. Additionally, seeking out resources such as financial aid and time management workshops can be helpful in managing these responsibilities.

2. Is it possible to work and attend school without accumulating debt?

While it may be difficult, it is possible to work and attend school without accumulating debt. This can be achieved by looking for part-time jobs that offer tuition reimbursement, scholarships, or grants. It is also important to budget and live within your means to avoid taking out loans. Additionally, taking advantage of free resources, such as using the library or studying in study groups, can also save money in the long run.

3. What are some tips for managing debt as a community college student?

To manage debt as a community college student, it is important to be aware of your financial situation and create a budget. This means tracking your expenses and finding areas where you can cut back. It is also important to take advantage of any financial aid or scholarships available. Additionally, paying off any high-interest debt first and making consistent payments can help in managing debt. Seeking advice from financial advisors or attending financial management workshops can also provide helpful tips and resources.

4. How can a community college student balance their mental health while juggling school, work, and debt?

Balancing mental health while managing school, work, and debt can be challenging. It is important for community college students to prioritize self-care and make time for activities that they enjoy. This can include exercise, spending time with loved ones, or engaging in hobbies. It is also important to seek support from friends, family, or mental health professionals if needed. Additionally, setting realistic goals and not being too hard on oneself can help in managing stress and maintaining good mental health.

5. What are some resources available for community college students struggling with balancing school, work, and debt?

There are many resources available for community college students struggling with balancing school, work, and debt. These can include financial aid and scholarships offered by the school, as well as on-campus resources such as financial advisors and time management workshops. Additionally, many community colleges have student support services, such as counseling and career centers, that can provide helpful resources and support. It is also worth researching local community organizations or non-profits that offer assistance with managing debt and financial planning for students.