Solve Ball Drop Problem: Find Initial Velocity

• Thread starter minhngo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Drop
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the initial velocity of a ball thrown from the edge of a building and a second ball dropped from the roof 1 second later, both with the goal of hitting the ground at the same time. The conversation includes equations and steps to solve for the initial velocity, with the final expression giving the initial velocity as a function of the building's height.
minhngo
Hi, I appreciate it if someone can reply and help me out with this problem.

A ball is thrown straight up from the edge of the roof of a building. A second ball is dropped from the roof 1 second later. Air resistance may be ignored.

(a) If the height of the building is H m, what must be the initial speed of the first ball if both are to hit the ground at the same time?

So far I understand that there is:

X(t)=H+Vo(T+1)+1/2(-9.8)(T+1)^2 -> first ball

X(t)=H+1/2(-9.8)(T)^2 -> second ball

Then I know that the two formulas equal each other. From there I found T=(Vo+4.9)/(Vo-9.8)
This is where I get stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should use T instead of T+1 for the second ball since it is dropped one second after ball one.

Sorry that was a typo. I'll fix it.

From the 2nd eqn, you can get T in terms of H.

Substitute for T into the expression you got stuck on.

minhngo said:
X(t)=H+Vo(T+1)+1/2(-9.8)(T+1)^2 -> first ball

X(t)=H+1/2(-9.8)(T)^2 -> second ball

Then I know that the two formulas equal each other. From there I found T=(Vo+4.9)/(Vo-9.8)
This is where I get stuck.
I don't really know what you mean by 'the two formulas equal each other'...
You know that when the second ball hits the ground, the first ball will also hit the ground, you have the height, the acceleration, and the initial velocity of the first ball (0 m / s). Can you find how long it takes the second ball to reach the ground? Let say it takes t (seconds) for the second ball to reach the ground.
From there, you know that it takes (t + 1) seconds for the first ball to reach the ground.
You have the first ball initial height, its acceleration, and you know how long it takes to reach the ground. Can you find its initial velocity?
Viet Dao,

What I meant to say was equation is that I set up:

H+Vo(T+1)+1/2(-9.8)(T+1)^2=H+1/2(-9.8)(T)^2

And from there I found T. However I am having trouble finding Vo.

You can get Vo by substituting in for T in terms of H

OK, I am a little confused. If I substitute T in T=(Vo+4.9)/(Vo-9.8) in terms of H, I would still have two variables, Vo and H.

That's right. Your final expression will give Vo as a function of H.

Consider H as an (unknown) constant.

Oh! thanks. I understand now.

1. What is the Ball Drop Problem and why is it important to solve?

The Ball Drop Problem refers to the task of finding the initial velocity of a ball dropped from a certain height. This problem is important because it has real-world applications in physics and engineering. It helps us understand the principles of motion and gravity, and can be used to predict the trajectory of objects in free fall.

2. What information do I need to solve the Ball Drop Problem?

To solve the Ball Drop Problem, you will need to know the height from which the ball was dropped and the time it took to reach the ground. Additionally, you will need to consider factors such as air resistance and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What is the formula for finding initial velocity in the Ball Drop Problem?

The formula for finding initial velocity is: v = gt, where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground.

4. Can the Ball Drop Problem be solved using any other formulas?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to solve the Ball Drop Problem. One common alternative is the d = 1/2gt^2 formula, which can be rearranged to solve for initial velocity. However, the v = gt formula is often preferred because it is simpler and more straightforward.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Ball Drop Problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to consider when solving the Ball Drop Problem. The formula assumes that there is no air resistance, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the initial velocity calculated may not be completely accurate due to human error or slight variations in the experiment. Therefore, it is important to use caution and consider these limitations when interpreting the results.