What is the height of the cliff?

• Thread starter Nghi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary: so now i'm just trying to find the height of the cliff that the two stones hit. thanks so much for your help!
Nghi

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped from a cliff; 2.18 s later another stone is thrown downward with an initial speed of 31 m/s. They reach the ground simultaneously. Find the height of the cliff.

Homework Equations

vf^2 = vo^2 + 2ax
x = vot + 0.5at^2
vf = vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

i've been working on this for the past two hours, and it's driving me nutsss.

i found the speed of the stone in 2.18 seconds by using the equation vf = vo + at. (t = 2.18 seconds; a = 9.81 m/s^2; vo = 0) i found the velocity to be 21.3858 m/s.

with that information, i found how far the stone traveled with the equation vf^2 = vo^2 + 2ax. (vf^2 = (21.3858)^2; vo^2 = 0; a = 9.81) the answer: 23.310522 m.

after that, i don't know what else to do with stone b. I've been playing around with the first equation, since the two stones hit the ground at the same time. is it wrong to assume that the final velocities of the two would be the same?

i would appreciate it very much if someone could throw me a bone on what to do with the second stone because I'm at a loss.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right equations, and are plugging in values correctly. But you seem to be calculating unnececessary things.

Is it in any way useful to calculate how far the first stone has traveled after 2.18s?

Focus on thinking about what you really want, i.e. the height of the cliff. Think of x as being the height of the cliff. Then plug in values for your equations for the first stone, and then the second stone.

Given both sets of equations, solve for x.

i'm still stuck on what i need to do... i don't know where to go after finding the speed of the first stone at 2.18 seconds. i know a = 9.81 m/s^2, speed of the first stone is 21.3858 m/s when the second stone is thrown with an initial velocity of 31 m/s. after that, everything is coming up blank. I've tried to set equations equal to each other, but they always cancel out the wanted variable.

AAAHHH I GOT IT I GOT IT! i forgot that the time for the stone b is 2.18 seconds less than stone a! yayyy!

Related to What is the height of the cliff?

1. What is the concept behind "Ball Dropped from Cliff"?

The concept behind "Ball Dropped from Cliff" is an experiment to study the effects of gravity on an object. It involves dropping a ball from a certain height and observing its motion as it falls to the ground.

2. What materials are needed for the "Ball Dropped from Cliff" experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a ball, a measuring tape or ruler, a stopwatch, and a cliff or tall structure from which to drop the ball.

3. What factors can affect the outcome of the "Ball Dropped from Cliff" experiment?

The factors that can affect the outcome of this experiment include air resistance, the height from which the ball is dropped, and the mass and shape of the ball.

4. How is the data collected and analyzed in the "Ball Dropped from Cliff" experiment?

Data is collected by measuring the time it takes for the ball to fall to the ground using a stopwatch and recording the height from which it was dropped. This data is then analyzed using mathematical equations and graphs to understand the relationship between time, distance, and velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the "Ball Dropped from Cliff" experiment?

The "Ball Dropped from Cliff" experiment has real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It can help in understanding the laws of motion and gravity, predicting the trajectory of falling objects, and improving the design of objects such as parachutes and sports equipment.