Ballistics, hydrodynamics - tensile cavitation in tissue and fluids

In summary, the conversation discusses a ballistics model and a particular problem with penetration and tensile cavitation. The Held equation for cavitation in jet penetration is mentioned, along with an approximation for cavity area. The equation includes variables such as deformation of the projectile, density of the projectile and medium, and tensile yield strength. The final term is unknown and the speaker is seeking clarification on its derivation. The topic of cavitation in water and other fluids is also brought up, and the use of the momentum integral equation is suggested as a possible approach for modelling the effect. However, the speaker has not been able to find any examples or experiments to support this idea.
tuoni
I have made decent progress with my ballistics model, but I have run into trouble and I'm not quite sure how to solve it. This particular problem deals with penetration and tensile cavitation. Based on the Held equation for cavitation in jet penetration (still haven't found any sites discussing this equation), an approximation for cavity area would be as follows:

[tex]A_{h(\tau)} = \delta A_{x} \cdot \frac{\rho_{p}v^{2}}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{p_{m(\tau)}k_{m}^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]k_{m} = 1 + \sqrt{\frac{\rho_{p}}{\rho_{m}}}[/tex]

Ah(τ) -- cavitation area; tensile failure (m^2)
Ax -- deformed projectile area (m^2)
v -- penetration velocity; velocity of nose relative to medium (m/s)
ρp -- density of projectile (kg/m^3)
ρm -- density of medium (kg/m^3)
pm(τ) -- tensile yield strength (Pa)
km -- density constant (k/1)

Thus the cavitation potential of a bullet is primarily dependent on the deformation of the projectile, with greater deformation creating greater cavitation. The second term looks like fluid stress, but pressure exerted on the medium as opposed to exerted on the penetrator, so (ρv^2)/2 is the radial pressure pushing away the medium as the bullet penetrates the medium in front of it, i.e. the nose pushing the medium outwards. The final term is completely unknown to me, and I cannot recognise it from anywhere, but I looks like it characterises the strength of the medium and how much cavitation occurs.

Does anyone have any clues as to the derivation/explanation of the final term?

Aside from that, I'm also wondering about cavitation in water (and other fluids). The only difference is that fluids do not have static strength (pm), but other than that I think the equation should be the same for fluids, I just don't know what could be form of the final term.

Using the following seems pretty reasonable (results seem nice), but I don't think it's correct:

[tex]\frac{1}{a_{g}p_{g}k_{m}^{2}}[/tex]

ag -- gravitational acceleration (m/s^2)
pg -- static pressure of fluid (Pa)

Any ideas on how to characterise the cavitation in fluids? I think it should be pretty close to the original equation, as the phenomena are actually quite similar and the mechanics isn't too different.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly you are modelling the passage of a solid object, such as a bullet, through a quasi fluid material - the tissue.

Would it not make more sense to describe the effect in the tissue by the dynamics of a wake, rather than modelling the projectile as the front of a jet?
Cavities form naturally in wakes, which is what you seem to be asking.

The flow regime for both jets and wakes is obtained by solving the

Momentum Integral Equation

I think your equation is derived from this.

However jets are often discussed in texts because they are one of the very few cases where we have obtained analytical solutions to this equation.

Last edited:
Studiot said:
If I understand you correctly you are modelling the passage of a solid object, such as a bullet, through a quasi fluid material - the tissue.

Would it not make more sense to describe the effect in the tissue by the dynamics of a wake, rather than modelling the projectile as the front of a jet?
Cavities form naturally in wakes, which is what you seem to be asking.

The flow regime for both jets and wakes is obtained by solving the

Momentum Integral Equation

I think your equation is derived from this.

However jets are often discussed in texts because they are one of the very few cases where we have obtained analytical solutions to this equation.

I had to look into that a little, and it does seem interesting, but I haven't been able to find any real examples/experiments/equations, so unfortunately I won't be able to use it. Good to know about the momentum integral theorem, but I doubt I'll be able to use it myself in the near future, seems complicated enough.

1. What is ballistics?

Ballistics is the study of the behavior of projectiles, such as bullets and missiles, as they travel through the air or other mediums.

2. How do hydrodynamics affect ballistics?

Hydrodynamics is the study of the movement of fluids, such as air and water. In ballistics, hydrodynamics plays a role in how a projectile travels through these mediums and how external forces, such as wind and water resistance, can affect its trajectory.

3. What is tensile cavitation in tissue and fluids?

Tensile cavitation refers to the formation of tiny bubbles in a fluid or tissue when it is subjected to high tension or pressure. In ballistics, this phenomenon can occur when a projectile travels through a medium at high speeds and creates a low-pressure area, causing the fluid or tissue to form cavities.

4. How does tensile cavitation affect ballistics?

Tensile cavitation can significantly impact the trajectory and damage caused by a projectile. The formation of cavities can create shockwaves that can disrupt tissue or affect the stability of a projectile's path.

5. What are the practical applications of studying ballistics, hydrodynamics, and tensile cavitation?

The study of ballistics, hydrodynamics, and tensile cavitation has practical applications in various fields, including forensic science, military technology, and sports. Understanding the behavior of projectiles can help improve accuracy and effectiveness in shooting and weapon design. It also has implications in medical research, particularly in understanding the effects of high-velocity impact on the human body.