Balmer series and the Lyman series

• Thread starter Jason Gomez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, to find the range of wavelengths for the Balmer and Lyman series of Hydrogen lines, you can use the equation 1/wavelength = R*Z^2[(1/n1^2)-(1/n2^2)], where R is the Rydberg constant (1.097*10^7m^-1), Z is the atomic number, and n1 and n2 are the principle quantum states for the final and initial states, respectively. For the Lyman series, n0 is equal to 1, while for the Balmer series, n0 is equal to 2. To find other values for n and create a series, you can use the equation and adjust the values of n1 and
Jason Gomez

Homework Statement

Find the range of wavelengths of the Balmer series and the Lyman series of Hydrogen lines.

Homework Equations

I believe I use the equation 1/(wave length) = R*Z^2[(1/n1^2)-(1/n2^2)]
where R= rydburg constant= 1.097*10^7m^(-1)
Z= atomic number
n1= principle quantum state final state
n2= principle quantum initial state

The Attempt at a Solution

all my book says about the quantum states in the Lyman series is that (n0 = 1)
how do I find other values for n in order to make a range?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and the Balmer series is (n0 = 2), but once again, how do I find different values of n inorder to make a series this is were I am confused and the book does not explain

Related to Balmer series and the Lyman series

What is the Balmer series?

The Balmer series is a series of spectral lines in the emission spectrum of hydrogen. These lines are created when electrons in hydrogen atoms transition from higher energy levels to the second energy level. This series is in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum and was first discovered by Swiss physicist Johann Balmer in 1885.

What is the Lyman series?

The Lyman series is a series of spectral lines in the emission spectrum of hydrogen. These lines are created when electrons in hydrogen atoms transition from higher energy levels to the first energy level. This series is in the ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum and was first discovered by American physicist Theodore Lyman in 1906.

What is the relationship between the Balmer and Lyman series?

The Balmer and Lyman series are both part of the emission spectrum of hydrogen, with the Balmer series in the visible region and the Lyman series in the ultraviolet region. Both series are created by the same process of electrons transitioning between energy levels in hydrogen atoms, but the energy levels involved are different. The Balmer series involves transitions to the second energy level, while the Lyman series involves transitions to the first energy level.

Why are the Balmer and Lyman series important?

The Balmer and Lyman series are important because they provide evidence for the existence of energy levels in atoms. They also help scientists understand the structure of the atom and the behavior of electrons. Additionally, these series have been used to study the properties of stars and other celestial objects, as well as to develop theories in quantum mechanics.

Can the Balmer and Lyman series be observed in other elements?

Yes, the Balmer and Lyman series can be observed in other elements besides hydrogen. However, the energy levels and wavelengths of the spectral lines will be different for each element. This is because the energy levels in atoms are unique to each element, and the transitions between these levels produce characteristic wavelengths. The Balmer series, for example, can also be observed in helium, while the Lyman series can be observed in elements such as lithium and beryllium.