Estimating Bandwidth of Phase Modulated Signal Using Taylor Series

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an estimate for the bandwidth of a PM (phase modulated) signal, s(t), using Taylor's series expansion and the information bearing signal, x(t). The conversation also mentions the use of absolute value and the calculation of cos(x) and sin(x) in power series, with a limited value of y. Finally, it suggests multiplying cos(nwT) by cos(wt) to obtain the sum term.
ace1719

Homework Statement

Consider the PM (phase modulated) signal, s(t) = Acos(wt+x(t)) where x(t) is the information bearing signal. Assume that |x(t)|< y, which is not necessarily small. Using Taylor's series expansion, derive an estimate for the bandwidth of the PM signal s(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the Taylor series expansion of s(t). I'm guessing the relevant part of the expansion is (wt+x(t))^2k. At this point I would guess that you'd want to substitute the maximum value of x(t) in - which is y - to get, (wt+y)^2k. If you couldn't tell, this required a lot of guess work, but I'm lost as to what to do at this point.

I'll thank you for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure where your k came from but the Taylor series expansion up to fourth order is
$$
1 - \frac{(wt + x(t))^2}{2} + \frac{(wt + x(t))^4}{24} - \cdots
$$
Is ##\lvert x(t)\rvert## absolute value or the modulus?

k is the index for the summation. I guess I should have explained that. |x(t)|, I presume is absolute.

ace1719 said:
k is the index for the summation. I guess I should have explained that. |x(t)|, I presume is absolute.

The we could say an estimate of ##s(t)## is then
$$
s(t) \approx A\Bigg(1 - \frac{(wt + x(t))^2}{2}\Bigg) < A - A\frac{(wt + y)^2}{2}
$$
where I took only up to second order terms. You wouldn't have a k in your solution.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
What can we infer about the bandwidth of that?

cos(wt + x(t)) = cos(x) cos(wt) - sin(x) sin (wt).
Expand cos(x) and sin(x) in power series. You know |x| is limited to y and I would think y = pi is the biggest it can get. So keep terms in n until xn/n! << 1. These are the coefficients of cos(wt) and sin(wt). When you multiply cos (nwT) by cos(wt) you get what? keep the sum term.

That should get you where you want to go.

1. What is bandwidth in terms of data transmission?

Bandwidth is the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted over a network or communication channel in a given amount of time. It is usually measured in bits per second (bps) and is an important factor in determining the speed and capacity of a network.

2. How is bandwidth related to data transfer rate?

Bandwidth and data transfer rate are closely related but not the same. Bandwidth refers to the maximum capacity of a network, while data transfer rate is the actual amount of data that is transmitted over that network in a given time period. Higher bandwidth allows for higher data transfer rates.

3. What is the importance of bandwidth in streaming media?

Bandwidth is crucial for streaming media as it determines the quality and speed of the media being delivered. Higher bandwidth means a smoother and faster streaming experience, while lower bandwidth can result in buffering and lower quality playback.

4. What is a Taylor series and how is it used in mathematics?

A Taylor series is a mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a complex function with a simpler one, making it easier to analyze and solve problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

5. How is a Taylor series related to bandwidth?

In the context of signal processing, a Taylor series can be used to determine the bandwidth of a signal by approximating it as a sum of sinusoidal components. This allows for the calculation of the highest frequency component in the signal, which is an important factor in determining the required bandwidth for transmission.