Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bandwidth at resoance and peak dB level

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm investigating what happens to bandwidth at resonance of a series RLC circuit when each component is doubled.

i have simulated the circuits and created a bode plot. You can see from the photos that at resonance the gain peaks at -20.82 dB. I would like to know how to calculate this value.

i have an input voltage of 10Vp and the voltage at resonance across the resistor is 6.428V. i understand that the voltage across both resistors is 7.07V because the multimeter is measuring RMS but how do i calculate the db level.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2
  4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply but that still doesn't tell me how to calculate the -22 dB.

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4
    You have a voltage divider with impedances:

Z1 = R1 + j*omega*L + 1/(j*omega*C) = R1 + j*(omega*L - 1/(omega*C) )
    Z2 = R2

Your measured voltage, call it Vout, is then given by:

Vout = Z2/(Z1 + Z2) = R2/(R1 + R2 + j*(omega*L - 1/(omega*C) ) )

with magnitude:

|Vout| = R2/sqrt( (R1 + R2)^2 + (omega*L - 1/(omega*C) )^2 )

Find peak value by finding roots of the derivative of |Vout| with respect to omega and substitute into Vout, you probably know the drill.

My solution gives:

Peak value = R2/sqrt( (R1+R2)^2 + (L/sqrt(L*C) - sqrt(L*C)/C)^2 ) = 0.0909 V = -20.8279 dBV

for R1 = 10 ohm, R2 = 1 ohm, L = 70 mH, C = 110 uF.

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    Thanks,

Once you're broke down the equations its made it easier to see what is going on.

Thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook