Basel Problem Integral: Solving with Calculus

• Thread starter kairama15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the Basel problem asks for the sum of 1/n^2 from n=1 to infinity, which is equal to pi^2/6. One possible proof involves using an integral and Taylor series. The integral of -ln(1-x)/x from 0 to 1 is equal to pi^2/6, and its Taylor series evaluated at 1 is the sum of x^n/n^2 from n=1 to infinity. Another proof involves the double integral of dx*dy/(1-(xy)^2), which can be written as the sum of 1/n^2 from n=1 to infinity. However, evaluating this double integral requires the use of trigonometry or polar coordinates.
kairama15
Summary:: Using an integral and taylor series to prove the Basel Problem

The Basel problem is a famous math problem. It asked, 'What is the sum of 1/n^2 from n=1 to infinity?'. The solution is pi^2/6. Most proofs are somewhat convoluted. I'm attempting to solve it using calculus.

I notice on wolframalpha.com that the integral of -ln(1-x)/x dx from 0 to 1 is pi^2/6. I also noticed that its taylor series evaluated at 1 is the sum of x^n/n^2 from n=1 to infinity. This is a link between pi^2/6 and the infinite sum of inverse squares.

If I can evaluate this integral, it can prove the Basel problem using just undergraduate calculus. I tried substitutions of u=ln(1-x), u=1-x, 1-x=e^u and even trig substitutions like x=sin(x). I'm having trouble evaluating it. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
One proof uses ##\int_0^1\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-xy}dxdy## and evaluates it by two different methods: as geometric series ##\sum (xy)^n## and by substitution ##u=\frac{y+x}{2}\, , \,v=\frac{y-x}{2}\,.##

Yes, that double integral is related to my integral. If you evaluate the inner dx from 0 to 1 you get my integral.

I'm having trouble with the final logarithmic integral I mentioned.

kairama15 said:
Yes, that double integral is related to my integral. If you evaluate the inner dx from 0 to 1 you get my integral.

I'm having trouble with the final logarithmic integral I mentioned.
Use the substitution instead. That gives you an arcus tangent, rather than a logarithm.

And maybe you could write your formulas in LaTeX. I have no nerves to decipher it hidden in a wall of text.
See https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

We already know that the result is ##\frac{\pi^2}{6}##. This means that we need some trigonometry, either a trigonometric function or polar coordinates. The real logarithm doesn't provide that.

The fact that ##\int_0^1 -\frac{\ln(1-x)}{x}\\ dx=\frac{\pi^2}{6}## is essentially a result of formally manipulating the Taylor series of the integrand and integrating termwise. The integral is equal to ##\mathrm{Li}_2(1)##, the dilogarithm at 1, which is a special case of the polylogarithm identity ##\mathrm{Li}_s(1)=\zeta(s)##.

Anyway, I’m skeptical that this would lead to anything without great effort, since this is basically just a series of formal manipulations. You still need something more.

Likes Delta2
fresh_42 said:
Use the substitution instead. That gives you an arcus tangent, rather than a logarithm.

I can't use Latex because I'm on mobile and there's no 'backslash' key.

Thanks for the advice!
I was able to prove that the

double integral of dx*dy/(1-(xy)^2)

written as the infinite series you mentioned does indeed become the

sum of 1/n^2 from n=1 to infinity

However I am having trouble solving the double integral to prove it is equal to pi^2/6.

If I make the substitutions you recommended, I get:

double integral of 4*du*dv/(1-u^2+v^2) from u=0 to 1 and v=0 to 1.

Integrating with respect to du and evaluating from 0 to 1, I get the remaining single variable integral:

integral of 4*atan(1/sqrt(-v^2-1))/sqrt(-v^2-1) from v=0 to 1.

Neither me nor wolframalpha can solve this integral using basic analytical functions.

I keep getting stuck evaluating this double integral. Any ideas?

1. What is the Basel Problem Integral?

The Basel Problem Integral is a mathematical problem that was first proposed by Pietro Mengoli in 1644 and later solved by Leonhard Euler in 1734. It involves finding the exact value of the sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers.

2. Why is the Basel Problem Integral important?

The solution to the Basel Problem Integral is significant because it provided a proof for the convergence of the infinite series. It also paved the way for the development of calculus and its applications in various fields of science and engineering.

3. How is the Basel Problem Integral solved with calculus?

The Basel Problem Integral can be solved using the techniques of integral calculus. Euler used the Taylor series expansion of the sine function to express the sum of the reciprocals of the squares in terms of an infinite series. By manipulating this series, he was able to calculate the exact value of the sum.

4. What is the solution to the Basel Problem Integral?

The solution to the Basel Problem Integral is π²/6, which is approximately equal to 1.64493406685. This means that the sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers is equal to one-sixth of the square of pi.

5. What are the real-world applications of the Basel Problem Integral?

The Basel Problem Integral has various applications in physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to calculate the area under a curve, which is essential in calculating probabilities and finding the center of mass of various objects. It is also used in the analysis of electrical circuits and the prediction of the behavior of fluids.