How to Solve Basic Algebra Questions: Tips and Tricks

Cy=\frac{e^x}{-4x-1+C}In summary, the conversation is about solving calculus problems and asking for help on dividing equations and getting the "e^x" to the other side. It is possible to divide both sides of an equation by multiple things, and the use of dashes in differentiating w.r.t. x.
kape
I have a few nagging questions that are preventing me from solving calculus problems.. Can someone give me a hand?

----------
Question 1

[tex] e^xy' = (4x+1)y^2 [/tex]

From the equation above, is it possible to do this:

[tex] \frac{y'}{y^2} = \frac{4x+1}{e^x} [/tex]

Aren't you supposed to divide one at a time, like this?

[tex] \frac{e^xy'}{y^2} = (4x+1) [/tex]

How would I get the [tex] \inline e^x [/tex] to the other side?

----------
Question 2

How do you tell the difference between these two?

[tex] 2 - 3 = -1 [/tex] and [tex] 2-3 = -6 [/tex] ?

(One latter being (2)(-3) = - 6?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1. Yes, it is possible. How to get the [itex]e^x[/itex] to the other side? Just divide both sides by [itex]e^x[/itex]. Which is the same as your first statement.

Q2. What do you mean? One DOES NOT write [itex]2\cdot(-3)[/itex] as [itex]2-3[/itex]!

There is, in fact, no "law" against dividing by several things at the same time: you could go from exy'= (4x+ 1)y2 to
[tex]\frac{y'}{y^2} = \frac{4x+1}{e^x}[/tex]
by dividing both sides by exy2
OR by first dividing by y2 and THEN dividing by ex. The math doesn't care.

I guess the dash represents differentiating w.r.t x...

[tex]e^x \frac{dy}{dx}=(4x+1)y^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{y^2}\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{(4x+1)}{e^x}[/tex]

[tex]\int_y{y^{-2}}dy=\int_x{(4x+1)e^{-x}dx[/tex]

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations and relations using symbols and variables to represent quantities and solve equations.

What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be performed on variables and symbols to solve equations and simplify expressions.

How do you solve a basic algebraic equation?

To solve a basic algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means that whatever operation is being performed on the variable, you need to do the opposite to both sides of the equation to cancel it out. Keep repeating this process until the variable is the only thing left on one side of the equation.

What is the difference between an equation and an expression in algebra?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows that two expressions are equal. It contains an equal sign and can be solved to find the value of the variable. An expression, on the other hand, is a combination of numbers, variables, and operations, but it does not contain an equal sign and cannot be solved.

Why is it important to learn basic algebra?

Basic algebra is an essential foundation for higher-level math and science courses. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in everyday life. Understanding algebra can also help with financial planning and decision making.