Squaring both sides of an equation: To include or not to include the minus sign?

In summary, When trying to get rid of the root in an equation, you cannot just square each term individually. Instead, you must square the entire side of the equation, which may result in multiple multiplications. Another approach is to isolate the root term before squaring both sides. In this specific example, the correct equation after squaring both sides would be (x -3√x - 16)(x -3√x - 16).
phospho
say the i had the equation x -3√x - 16 = 0, if I was to square every term to get rid of the root would it be:

1) x + 9x + 16 = 0
2) x - 9x - 16 = 0

Just confused if I should include the minus sign

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to square the whole side - so you should have an x2 in there too.
You don't get to square each term by themselves - you have to square the whole thing.

note: 5-(3+2)=0

square each term

25 - (9+4) = 0 nope
25 + (9+4) = 0 nope

see? both are wrong.

in general, just because a+b=c it does not follow that a2+b2=c2

To get rid of the root, isolate it on the LHS before squaring both sides.

You should isolate your root term so that you get

3sqrt x = x-16

So when you square both sides you get

(3sqrt x)^2 = (x-16)(x-16)

You could square the whole side too as Simon pointed out but it's more laborious.

Of course, another option is to do the substitution [itex]y=\sqrt{x}[/itex] and then solve for y.

phospho said:
say the i had the equation x -3√x - 16 = 0, if I was to square every term to get rid of the root would it be:

1) x + 9x + 16 = 0
2) x - 9x - 16 = 0

Just confused if I should include the minus sign

If you're going to square the whole side, you get (x -3√x - 16)(x -3√x - 16). You can't just look at one term and square it, and ignor the other terms on that side. In this case, there are six multiplications that have to be done if you take this approach. You did one.

Feodalherren said:
Y
(3sqrt x)^2 = (x-16)(x-16)

You could square the whole side too as Simon pointed out but it's more laborious.
... and in your example, you have squared the whole side (for both sides). That's what I meant: see last line post #2 :)

I had hoped to lead phospho to do the actual manipulation... oh well.

1. What does it mean to square both sides of an equation?

Squaring both sides of an equation means raising each side to the power of 2. This is done in order to eliminate square roots or to solve for a variable.

2. When should I include the minus sign when squaring both sides of an equation?

The minus sign should only be included when it is present in the original equation. If the equation is written as "x^2 = 25", then both sides should be squared without the minus sign. However, if the equation is written as "x^2 = -25", then the minus sign should be included when squaring both sides.

3. What happens to the solutions of the equation when squaring both sides?

Squaring both sides of an equation may result in extraneous solutions, which are solutions that do not satisfy the original equation. It is important to check the solutions obtained after squaring both sides to ensure they are valid for the original equation.

4. Can I square both sides of an inequality?

Yes, you can square both sides of an inequality, but it is important to remember that the direction of the inequality may change. For example, if the original inequality is "x < 4", after squaring both sides it becomes "x^2 < 16".

5. Are there any rules or guidelines to follow when squaring both sides of an equation?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when squaring both sides of an equation. First, only square both sides if necessary to solve the equation or eliminate square roots. Second, remember to include the minus sign if it is present in the original equation. Finally, check for extraneous solutions after squaring both sides.