Basic Calculus Homework: How to Differentiate 6e^(-t).ln(t+5) - Check My Work!

In summary, Rasalhague says that the differentiating equation is v'(t) = -6e^(-t).ln(t+5) + 6e^(-t).1/(t+5), while Patjamet says that it's v'(t) = -6e^(-t).ln(t+5) + 6e^(-t)/(t+5).
Patjamet
It's a basic calculus problem for some uni homework, but it's been a while and I'm rusty.
More or less just looking for a check on my work

Homework Statement

Differentiate:

v(t)= 6e^(-t).ln(t+5)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the product rule:

v'(t) = du/dt(6e^(-t)).ln(t+5) + 6e^(-t).dv/dt(ln(t+5))

v'(t) = -6e^(-t).ln(t+5) + 6e^(-t).1/(t+5)

v'(t) = -6e^(-t).ln(t+5) + 6e^(-t)/(t+5)

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Pat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me!

Yes, it's correct. But your notation is a little odd in the first line. Instead of

v'(t) = du/dt(6e^(-t)).ln(t+5) + 6e^(-t).dv/dt(ln(t+5))

you could let f(t)=6e^(-t), and g(t)=ln(t+5), then simply write

[tex]v'(t)=(fg)'(t) = f'(t) \cdot g(t) + f(t) \cdot g'(t)[/tex]

or you could use the d/dt notation like this

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}v}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\mathrm{d}fg}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d} t} \cdot g + f \cdot \frac{\mathrm{d} g}{\mathrm{d} t}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} (6e^{-t}) \bigg|_{t=t_0} \cdot \ln (t_0+5)+6e^{-t_0} \cdot \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\ln(t+5)) \bigg|_{t=t_0}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} (6e^{-t})}{\mathrm{d} t} (t_0) \cdot \ln (t_0+5)+6e^{-t_0} \cdot \frac{\mathrm{d} (\ln(t+5))}{\mathrm{d} t} (t_0)[/tex]

or with some such variation.

By the way, if you just want to check a result, there are many online calculators; here's a good one:

http://www.wolframalpha.com

Thanks for your replies guys.

Rasalhague, thanks for your corrections I'll make note of them in my studies

You're welcome, Patjamet. I should add that you'll also see variations of the d/dt (Leibniz) notation where the same letter, t, is used both for the variable in the name of the function, and for a particular value of it. If you're familiar with the concepts, it's usually easy to disambiguate, but when learning new ideas, I find it helps to keep things as clear as possible.

Also, the Leibniz notation is often used ambiguously, so, people may write y(t) = y = 6e-t, and y' = y'(t) = dy/dt, where it's not clear whether dy/dt denotes the function or the value of this function. Again, when performing familiar calculations, it may not matter, but for understanding new concepts, it's good to have a notation that keeps these things distinct, or at least to be have an unambiguous notation to fall back on if things get confusing.

Another notation I've seen, which is nicely simple, is Df for the derivative as a function, f', and Df(t) for its value, f'(t), at a particular point, t.

Strange - I have the exact question for a calculus assignment and I got stuck on the same part as Patjamet - Thanks for the clarification Rasal!

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and model continuously changing quantities, such as the rate at which an object is moving, or the slope of a curve.

2. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and calculating areas under curves.

3. What is the difference between derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals are two fundamental concepts in calculus. Derivatives represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integrals represent the accumulation of a function over a specific interval.

4. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and solve real-world problems. It also provides a framework for understanding change and motion, which are fundamental concepts in science and technology.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculus?

Calculus has numerous real-life applications, some examples include optimization of production processes in engineering, predicting stock market trends in economics, and modeling the spread of diseases in epidemiology. It is also used in physics to study motion and in biology to model population growth.