Calculating Current from a Capacitor Bank: Tolerate My Ignorance Wise Ones

• Thread starter kenw232
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking a basic understanding of how much current can be obtained from a capacitor bank for a certain amount of time. They mention that 1 Farad is equivalent to 1 Ampere second per Volt and inquire if a 1 farad capacitor charged with 1V will dissipate its 1 amp charge in 1 second. They also ask if charging a 1 Farad capacitor with 12V means it will have 12 Amps at 12V. Lastly, they mention wanting to have all the power come out at once by connecting capacitors in parallel. The responder provides some basic equations to help the person figure out the current and voltage dynamics of capacitors.
kenw232
Tolerate my ignorance wise ones.

I'm trying to get a simple common sense explanation to figure out how much current I can get from a capacitor bank and for how long.

I read that 1 Farad is 1 Ampere second per Volt. So does this mean that a 1 farad capacitor charged with 1V will dissipate its 1 amp charge in 1 second (if shorted). Is this mostly correct?

So if I charged this 1 Farad cap with 12V does that mean it has 12 Amps at 12V because its “per volt”?

Also if I’m creating a capacitor bank I want them in parallel if I want all the power to come out at once right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kenw232 said:
Tolerate my ignorance wise ones.

I'm trying to get a simple common sense explanation to figure out how much current I can get from a capacitor bank and for how long.

I read that 1 Farad is 1 Ampere second per Volt. So does this mean that a 1 farad capacitor charged with 1V will dissipate its 1 amp charge in 1 second (if shorted). Is this mostly correct?

So if I charged this 1 Farad cap with 12V does that mean it has 12 Amps at 12V because its “per volt”?

Also if I’m creating a capacitor bank I want them in parallel if I want all the power to come out at once right?

Welcome to the PF. Couple basic equations you can use:

Q = C * V
the charge Q [Coulombs] is equal to the capacitance [Farads] * voltage [Volts]

I = dQ / dt
the current I [Amps] is equal to the amount of charge dQ [Coulombs] passing a point in a given time dt [seconds]

You should be able to use these to start to figure out how much current you can get from capacitors for some time period. However, you don't generally short the output of capacitors. You apply some load resistance R, and the capacitor discharges with an exponentially decreasing voltage and current characteristic. Remember the fundamental equation:

V = I * R
voltage [Volts] equals the current I [Amps] * resistance R [Ohms]

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out and showing an interest in understanding how to calculate current from a capacitor bank. I would be happy to provide you with some insights and explanations to help clarify your questions.

First of all, it is important to understand that a capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. The amount of energy it can store is measured in units of capacitance called Farads (F). The higher the capacitance, the more energy it can store.

Now, to answer your first question, you are correct in saying that 1 Farad is equal to 1 Ampere second per Volt. This means that if a 1 Farad capacitor is charged with 1 Volt, it will dissipate 1 Ampere of current in 1 second when shorted. However, this does not mean that it will only have a capacity of 1 Ampere. The current that can be drawn from a capacitor depends on the voltage it is charged with. So, if you charge a 1 Farad capacitor with 12 Volts, it will have a capacity of 12 Amperes at 12 Volts.

Now, let's talk about capacitor banks. A capacitor bank is essentially a group of capacitors connected in parallel or in series to increase the overall capacitance. When connected in parallel, the total capacitance of the bank is the sum of the individual capacitances. This means that if you have two 1 Farad capacitors connected in parallel, the total capacitance would be 2 Farads.

In terms of current, if you want to discharge all the energy from the capacitor bank at once, then yes, you would want to connect them in parallel. This would allow you to draw the maximum amount of current from the bank. However, if you want to discharge the energy over a longer period of time, then connecting them in series would be more appropriate.

I hope this helps in clarifying your questions. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries. Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge, it's the best way to learn.

1. How do I calculate the current from a capacitor bank?

To calculate the current from a capacitor bank, you will need to know the capacitance of the bank (in Farads) and the voltage across the bank (in Volts). Then, use the formula I = C * dV/dt, where I is the current, C is the capacitance, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage over time.

2. What is the purpose of a capacitor bank?

A capacitor bank is used to store and release electrical energy. It is often used in power systems to improve the power factor and to stabilize voltage fluctuations.

3. Can I calculate the current from a capacitor bank without knowing the voltage?

No, the voltage across the capacitor bank is a necessary component in the calculation of current. Without knowing the voltage, you cannot accurately calculate the current.

4. How do I determine the capacitance of a capacitor bank?

The capacitance of a capacitor bank can be determined by measuring the total capacitance of each individual capacitor in the bank and adding them together. Alternatively, you can also measure the total capacitance using a special meter designed for measuring capacitor banks.

5. Is it possible to have negative current from a capacitor bank?

No, current from a capacitor bank can never be negative. However, the direction of the current can change depending on the charging or discharging of the bank. This is because current is defined as the flow of positive charge, and capacitors do not allow negative charge to accumulate.