Why Don't All Molecular Vibrations Lead to Observable Infrared Absorptions?

In summary, the electric field of electromagnetic radiation changes the frequency of the vibrations of a molecule, which causes the change in charge distribution and this gives the molecule energy and causes it to absorb radiation.
Moogie
Hi

I'm a little bit confused about infrared spectroscopy. My basic understanding (which was obviously wrong) was that molecules absorbed EMR in the infrared region and that this caused vibrations in the molecule. Some vibrations/stretching cause a change in charge distribution and for reasons not to known to me, only those that cause a change in charge show up on the IR spectra.

However I have just read:

Not all molecular vibrations lead to observable infrared absorptions. In general, a vibration must cause a change in the charge distribution within a molecule to absorb infrared light. The greater the change in charge distribution, the stronger the absorption.

This explains why the spectra only shows vibrations that cause a change in charge, but what I don't understand is why "not all vibrations lead to observable infrared absorbtions." How can any vibration occur without absorbing energy. I thought the molecules absorbed the energy which caused the vibration, not that the vibration caused energy to be absorbed.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Only those vibrations can interact with the electric field of the electromagnetic radiation which are accompanied with change of dipole moment.

If you have a carbon monoxide (CO) molecule for example, the oxygen atom is a bit negative, the carbon atom is a bit positive, and they will move in opposite direction in an oscillating electric field. If the frequency of the field is close or identical with the natural vibration frequency of the molecule, the amplitude of the vibration increases, the molecule gains energy from the field, it absorbs radiation.

In case of a H2 molecule, the two atoms are identical, they experience the same force in the electric field, so the bond length between them will not change, no vibration is excited, H2 does not absorb in the infrared range.

This is the strongest interaction between the electric field and a molecular vibration, through the induced dipole moment. There are other interactions.
The electric field can interact also with a rotating molecule if it has a permanent dipole moment. So CO has both rotational and vibrational absorption spectrum, but at different frequency ranges.

ehild

ehild said:
Only those vibrations can interact with the electric field of the electromagnetic radiation which are accompanied with change of dipole moment.

What do you mean by this sentence please?

Thanks kindly for your answer

This is the sentence you can read in textbooks on infrared spectroscopy:) and I tried to explain it. It is connected to quantum mechanics, but I wanted to give a simpler explanation

Again: The electric field changes with the frequency of the radiation at the position of the molecule, according to a SHM : E= E0sin(wt).
It exerts qE force on the charges in the molecule. You can imagine that all atoms carry some charge and they are surrounded by the cloud of valence electrons. The atom with the positive charge moves in the direction of the electric field, the negatively charged atom moves in the opposite direction. As the electric field changes, they follow the change of the field, so they vibrate around their equilibrium position. I tried to draw a picture showing a vibrating molecule.

ehild

Attachments

• vibration.JPG
    vibration.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 322

I can provide some clarification on this topic. Infrared spectroscopy is a technique used to study the chemical bonds present in a molecule. When a molecule is exposed to infrared light, it absorbs certain wavelengths of light that correspond to the vibrations of its chemical bonds. These absorbed wavelengths can then be used to identify the types of bonds present in the molecule.

Now, to address your confusion about not all vibrations leading to observable infrared absorptions, it is important to understand that not all vibrations in a molecule result in a change in the charge distribution. Infrared absorption occurs when the vibration causes a change in the dipole moment of the molecule, meaning there is a shift in the distribution of positive and negative charges within the molecule. This change in charge distribution is what allows the molecule to absorb infrared light.

However, there are some vibrations in a molecule that do not result in a change in the dipole moment and therefore do not absorb infrared light. These vibrations may still occur, but they do not contribute to the infrared spectrum of the molecule because they do not cause a change in the charge distribution.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of infrared spectroscopy. It is a complex technique that requires a deep understanding of molecular vibrations and their effects on charge distribution. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is infrared spectroscopy?

Infrared spectroscopy is a technique used in analytical chemistry to identify and analyze the chemical composition of a substance. It involves the absorption of infrared light by molecules, which produces a unique spectrum that can be used to identify functional groups and chemical bonds present in the sample.

2. How does infrared spectroscopy work?

Infrared spectroscopy works by passing infrared light through a sample and measuring the amount of light absorbed at different wavelengths. This absorption is caused by the vibrations of chemical bonds in the sample, which produce a unique spectrum that can be interpreted to identify the sample's chemical composition.

3. What are the advantages of using infrared spectroscopy?

One advantage of infrared spectroscopy is its ability to provide information about the functional groups and chemical bonds present in a sample, allowing for the identification and characterization of unknown substances. It is also a non-destructive technique, meaning the sample can be reused for further analysis.

4. What are the limitations of infrared spectroscopy?

One limitation of infrared spectroscopy is that it cannot provide information about the three-dimensional structure of a molecule, only the types of chemical bonds present. Additionally, substances that do not have polar bonds, such as pure hydrocarbons, may not produce a significant infrared spectrum.

5. How is infrared spectroscopy used in scientific research?

Infrared spectroscopy is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including chemistry, biochemistry, and materials science. It is commonly used to identify and analyze the composition of unknown substances, monitor chemical reactions, and determine the purity of a sample. It is also used in forensic science to analyze evidence and in pharmaceutical research to study drug interactions with molecules in the body.