Learn How to Write Labview Programs: Basic Help for Beginners

• Thread starter phrygian
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking help with creating a labview program that generates a positively ramped signal that switches to a negatively ramped signal once a certain value is reached. They are unsure of how to store variables in labview, but it is suggested to use shift registers and arrays to save values for later use in the program.
phrygian
I don't have programming experience and I am trying to learn how to write labview programs.

I want to write a program that works like this:

I want to make a positively ramped signal that becomes negatively ramped once the difference between the current signal value and the initial signal value divided by the initial signal value reaches a certain value. The negatively ramped signal would become positively ramped again once it reached half the difference between the value where the signal switched directions and the initial value of the signal, and this process would repeat.

I have no idea how to do this without being able to store variables which I know you can't do in labview, can somebody help point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot for the help

Technology news on Phys.org
The lines are variables, for carrying stuff through loops look up shift registers. Basically you can make a while loop that increases every loop then when it hits your valueit changes direction. I'll try to make a quick example when I get home, on my phone right now.

edit:

nevermind, seems my evaluation period has expired and all I have are my old 6i cd's and I'm not sure where they are. I'll try reinstalling later (I use labview for a LOT of stuff)

But basically just start with a signal value, like a double, that is your amplitue. Wire that to the edge of a while loop and right clcik on it and choose "add shift register". It adds an input/output for the while loop that contains the value that you put in the box.
Then just increment it each time by some amount, where the increment amount is multiplied by some IF where you have it so it does what you want, (multiples the increment amount by 1 or negative 1, etc.

Last edited:
The part that I am having trouble understanding is how do I save a value to be used later in the program without that value being changed every time the program loops? For instance, with the voltage changing, how can I save certain values of voltages to be used later if there will always be new values flowing to whatever position I want to save them at?

An array is your only option then, but it'll add a new entry for every time it loops.

!

I understand your desire to learn how to write Labview programs and your specific goal of creating a ramped signal with certain parameters. Labview is a powerful programming language that is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields, and it can seem intimidating to beginners. However, with the right resources and guidance, anyone can learn how to write Labview programs.

First, I recommend familiarizing yourself with the basics of Labview, such as understanding its graphical programming interface and the concept of dataflow. There are many online resources available, including tutorials, videos, and forums where you can ask for help and advice.

Next, you can start by breaking down your desired program into smaller tasks and tackling them one at a time. For example, you can begin by creating a basic program that generates a ramped signal without any specific parameters. Once you have a solid understanding of that, you can move on to adding in the parameters you want, such as the switch in direction and the specific values for the ramp.

In terms of storing variables, Labview has various tools and functions that allow you to save and manipulate data. For example, you can use arrays or clusters to store multiple values, or you can use shift registers to store and update a single value throughout your program.

Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to the Labview community for help and guidance. There are many experienced users who are willing to share their knowledge and assist beginners in learning the language.

Overall, learning how to write Labview programs takes time and practice, but with determination and the right resources, you can achieve your goal of creating a customized ramped signal program. Good luck!

1. What is Labview and why is it used in scientific research?

Labview is a programming language and development environment used for data acquisition, instrument control, and data analysis in scientific research. It is popular because it is user-friendly and allows for easy creation of custom programs for specific experimental setups.

2. Is Labview difficult to learn for beginners?

Labview can be challenging for beginners, especially those who are not familiar with programming. However, with practice and access to resources such as tutorials and online communities, it is possible to become proficient in Labview.

3. What are the basic components of a Labview program?

A Labview program consists of a front panel and a block diagram. The front panel is the user interface where inputs and outputs are displayed, while the block diagram is where the code is written and executed.

4. How can I get started with writing Labview programs?

The best way to get started with Labview is to familiarize yourself with the user interface and basic programming concepts such as data types, structures, and loops. You can also try out tutorials and online courses to learn more about Labview programming.

5. Are there any tips for writing efficient and effective Labview programs?

To write efficient and effective Labview programs, it is important to plan and organize your code before starting to write it. Additionally, using modular programming techniques, optimizing code for speed and memory usage, and debugging and testing your code thoroughly can also help improve the performance of your Labview programs.