1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic linear algebra help. Converting equation to matrix form

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Express the equation [tex]q=x_1 - 6x_2 + 3x_1^2 + 5x_1 x_2[/tex] in the matrix form [tex]1/2x^T Q*x+c^T x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The only mention of a matrix c that I could find in my book is in the section of Gaussian elimination:

[tex]c= \frac {a_{ik}}{a_{kk}}[/tex]

But I don't feel like this has anything to do with the solution form I'm trying to find.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure where to begin really. I feel like this should be a very simple problem, but I'm not sure where to start. I tried defining x = [x1 x2] and Q = [q1 q2] but I'm not sure what the "c" matrix is supposed to be.

As some background, this is taken from the review portion of my Finite Elements book.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Q will be a 2x2 matrix, while c will be a 2x1 column vector - they have to be of that form to match the multiplication and as q is a scalar
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook