Basic Nickel-Iron Battery Experiment

Hi everyone.
I'm interested in building a basic nickel-iron battery. I was wondering if both plates can be made off of nickel-iron alloy (35% iron and 65% nickel).
How will the efficiency of this model differ compared to if I use iron and nickel plates separately?

Answers and Replies

mjc123
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How are you going to generate an emf if the electrodes are the same?

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
How are you going to generate an emf if the electrodes are the same?
I guess he plans to charge the cell first - as in a Lead Acid battery. But whether the Chemistry would allow it is another question.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
This reference says that the electrodes are plated, not solid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93iron_battery said:
The nickel–iron battery (NiFe battery) is a rechargeable battery having nickel(III) oxide-hydroxide positive plates and iron negative plates, with an electrolyte of potassium hydroxide. The active materials are held in nickel-plated steel tubes or perforated pockets.

It is a very robust battery which is tolerant of abuse, (overcharge, overdischarge, and short-circuiting) and can have very long life even if so treated. It is often used in backup situations where it can be continuously charged and can last for more than 20 years.

Due to its low specific energy, poor charge retention, and high cost of manufacture, other types of rechargeable batteries have displaced the nickel–iron battery in most applications.
This part of the article gives extensive information on design of the plates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel–iron_battery#Plates