1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic operations on sequences (conventional notation)

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    Hi All,

So here's my question:

Suppose we have two sets [itex]A[/itex] and [itex] B[/itex], then [itex]A \setminus B[/itex] denotes their set-difference.
    Does there exist an equivalent operator for the case where A and B are not sets, but sequences?

Otherwise, is there an operator to convert a sequence into a set, removing the index, and all repetitions? In that case, I can take my sequences, convert them to their corresponding sets, and use [itex] \setminus [/itex] to get the result I'm looking for.

Also, what is the counterpart of [itex] A \cup \{b\}[/itex] for the case where [itex] A [/itex] is a sequence? is it [itex] A \oplus b[/itex]?

I can't seem to find such conventions regarding sequences anywhere on the web ...

Thanks so much for your help,

-A.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You aren't being specific enough abou what operation you want. For example,
    if A = 1,2,3,4,5 and B = 1,3,3,4,6 what do you want "the equivalent operator" to do? Produce the sequence 1-1,2-3,3-3,4-4,5-6 = 0,-1,0,0,-1 ? Or produce the sequence 2,3,5,6 ? Or produce the sequence 2,6 ?

Some authors use the notation A - B to mean term-by-term subtraction. For more elaborate operations, I don't think there is any standard notation. If you are writing a paper on this specialized subject, look in the related literature and see what people have invented. (And don't feel obligated to use it!)

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    So, assume the operator [itex] f [/itex] takes a sequence, and returns its elements as a set (without repetitions). For example if [itex]\mathbf{a} = (1,1,2,1,3,2) [/itex] then [itex] f(\mathbf{a}) = \{1,2,3\} [/itex].

Now suppose we have a pair of sequences [itex] \mathbf {a} = (a_1,a_2,\cdots,a_n)[/itex] and [itex] \mathbf {b} = (b_1,b_2,\cdots,b_m)[/itex]. I want [itex]\mathbf {a}-\mathbf {b}:= f(\mathbf {a})\setminus f(\mathbf{b})[/itex].

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4
    So in your example I want the operator to produce: [itex]\{1,2,3,4,5\} \setminus \{1,3,4,6\} = \{2,5\}.[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook