Calculating Focal Length of a Drop of Water

In summary, the focal length of a drop of water in the form of a sphere with radius 4mm given that the refractive index of water = 4/3 is 16mm. The Attempt at a Solution provides a derivation for this information.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

What is the focal length of a drop of water in the form of a sphere with radius 4mm given that the refractive index of water = 4/3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, i think i will need to assume that the light rays are coming from infinity, and using this formula

[tex]\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{r}[/tex]

n1/u is 0. Substituting n2=4/3 and n1=1,r=4, i got v=16 and for distant light rays, image distance equals the focal length.

But i am wrong, the answer given is 6mm.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible that the formula you used is not applicable to this situation. When I use the lensmaker's equation (which seems like a natural thing to use), I get an answer that is close but not quite equal to the answer you have been given.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics)#Lensmaker.27s_equation

If I use the thin lens equation (which is just below the lensmaker's equation in that article), I get the answer that you've been given in your solutions. HOWEVER, I do not think that the thin lens approximation applies here, so really you should be using the lensmaker's equation. It's possible that whoever made your solutions incorrectly applied the thin lens equation to this situation.

EDIT: In applying these formulae, keep in mind that the radius of curvature of the far surface should be negative.

A sphere is known as a ball lens in optics - it;s very useful for coupling light into fibres for example. http://www.edmundoptics.com/technical-support/optics/understanding-ball-lenses/

See http://spie.org/x34513.xml for a derivation

Last edited by a moderator:
cepheid said:
It is possible that the formula you used is not applicable to this situation. When I use the lensmaker's equation (which seems like a natural thing to use), I get an answer that is close but not quite equal to the answer you have been given.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics)#Lensmaker.27s_equation

If I use the thin lens equation (which is just below the lensmaker's equation in that article), I get the answer that you've been given in your solutions. HOWEVER, I do not think that the thin lens approximation applies here, so really you should be using the lensmaker's equation. It's possible that whoever made your solutions incorrectly applied the thin lens equation to this situation.

EDIT: In applying these formulae, keep in mind that the radius of curvature of the far surface should be negative.

Thank you.

Your attempt at a solution is correct, but you have made a mistake in your calculation. Let's go through it step by step to find where the error occurred.

First, we need to understand the equation you have used. It is known as the lens maker's equation, which relates the focal length (f), object distance (u), and image distance (v) of a lens or spherical object.

The equation is given as:

\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{r}

Where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums (in this case, air and water), u is the object distance, v is the image distance, and r is the radius of curvature of the spherical object.

In this case, we are given the radius of the drop of water (r = 4mm) and the refractive index of water (n2 = 4/3). We need to find the focal length (f) of the drop of water.

Using the lens maker's equation, we can rearrange it to solve for f:

f = \frac{1}{\frac{n_2-n_1}{r} - \frac{n_1}{u}}

Substituting the values we have, we get:

f = \frac{1}{\frac{4/3 - 1}{4} - \frac{1}{\infty}}

Since light rays are coming from infinity, u = \infty, which means that \frac{1}{u} = 0.

Substituting this in the equation, we get:

f = \frac{1}{\frac{4/3 - 1}{4} - 0} = \frac{1}{\frac{1/3}{4}} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{12}} = 12mm

So, the focal length of the drop of water is 12mm, not 16mm as you have calculated. But the given answer is 6mm. Where did we go wrong?

The mistake lies in the assumption that the light rays are coming from infinity. In reality, light rays coming from a distant source will be nearly parallel, but not exactly parallel. This means that the object distance (u) is not infinite, but a finite value. Let's say the light rays are coming from a distance of

1. How do you measure the focal length of a drop of water?

To measure the focal length of a drop of water, you will need a light source, a ruler, and a container of water. Place the container of water between the light source and the ruler, making sure the light passes through the water. Move the ruler back and forth until the image of the light is in focus on the surface of the water. The distance from the light source to the surface of the water is the focal length.

2. What is the importance of calculating the focal length of a drop of water?

The focal length of a drop of water can provide valuable information about the optical properties of the water, such as its refractive index. This information can be used in various scientific experiments and studies, particularly in the field of optics and light manipulation.

3. Can the focal length of a drop of water change?

Yes, the focal length of a drop of water can change depending on factors such as the temperature of the water, the type of container it is in, and the angle at which the light passes through it. It is important to keep these factors constant when measuring the focal length for accurate results.

4. How does the shape of the drop of water affect its focal length?

The shape of the drop of water can affect its focal length because it changes the path of the light passing through it. A spherical drop of water will have a different focal length than a flat or elongated drop. Therefore, it is important to take into account the shape of the drop when measuring its focal length.

5. Can the focal length of a drop of water be calculated using mathematical equations?

Yes, the focal length of a drop of water can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the lens formula or the thin lens equation. These equations take into account the refractive index of the water and the curvature of the drop to determine the focal length. However, it is important to note that these equations may not be as accurate as a direct measurement using a light source and ruler.