Solving Probability Coupling Problems: X & Y

In summary: Simply listing them out will do.In summary, there are 36 possible outcomes for (X, Y), of which 6 have X>Y.
Harambe1
Hi, I'm struggling to understand probability coupling. I have the following problem:

Let X and Y each be uniformly distributed on the discrete set {1,...6} (i.e. the distribution of the roll of 1 fair die).
(a) If X and Y are independent, what is Pr[X = Y]?
(b) Couple X and Y so that Pr[X = Y] = 1.
(c) Couple X and Y so that Pr[X > Y] = 5/6.

I'm not entirely sure where to start and can't find much information on it.

For part (b), would I be right in simply saying "Let X={1,2,...,6} and let Y={X}. Thus, Pr[X = Y] = 1." If so, great but if not where am I going wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Harambe said:
Hi, I'm struggling to understand probability coupling. I have the following problem:

Let X and Y each be uniformly distributed on the discrete set {1,...6} (i.e. the distribution of the roll of 1 fair die).
(a) If X and Y are independent, what is Pr[X = Y]?
(b) Couple X and Y so that Pr[X = Y] = 1.
(c) Couple X and Y so that Pr[X > Y] = 5/6.

I'm not entirely sure where to start and can't find much information on it.

For part (b), would I be right in simply saying "Let X={1,2,...,6} and let Y={X}. Thus, Pr[X = Y] = 1." If so, great but if not where am I going wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Start by drawing up a 2-way table which shows what you can roll from the two dice. How many possibilities are there? How many of those possibilities have the rolls the same?

There are 6 possible outcomes for each of X and Y so there are 36 possible outcomes for (X, Y). In 6 of those X= Y.

For b, you say "let Y= {x}". What are the braces intended to mean here? Why not just "Y= X"?

For the third, write out all 36 possible outcomes. Find a subset containing 6 of those outcomes such that X> Y in 5 of them. It is not necessary that you be able to write a "formula" describing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving Probability Coupling Problems: X & Y

1. What are probability coupling problems?

Probability coupling problems involve determining the joint probability of two events, X and Y, occurring simultaneously. This can be used to calculate the likelihood of both events happening together, which can aid in decision making and risk assessment.

2. How do you solve probability coupling problems?

To solve probability coupling problems, you first need to determine the individual probabilities of events X and Y occurring. Then, you can use the formula P(X and Y) = P(X) * P(Y|X) to calculate the joint probability. This formula takes into account the probability of event Y happening given that event X has already occurred.

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent events in probability coupling problems?

Independent events are those where the occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of the other event happening. In this case, the formula for joint probability simplifies to P(X and Y) = P(X) * P(Y). Dependent events are those where the occurrence of one event does affect the probability of the other event happening, and the formula P(X and Y) = P(X) * P(Y|X) must be used.

4. Can you provide an example of a probability coupling problem?

Sure, let's say you are flipping a coin and rolling a six-sided die. What is the probability of getting heads on the coin flip and rolling a 3 on the die? First, we determine the individual probabilities: P(heads) = 1/2 and P(rolling a 3) = 1/6. Then, we use the formula P(heads and rolling a 3) = P(heads) * P(rolling a 3|heads) = (1/2) * (1/6) = 1/12.

5. How can solving probability coupling problems be useful in real life?

Solving probability coupling problems can be useful in many real-life situations. For example, it can be used in the stock market to calculate the probability of multiple events occurring simultaneously, such as a stock price going up and a company reporting positive earnings. It can also be used in risk assessment, such as determining the likelihood of a natural disaster happening at the same time as a company's production facility experiencing a power outage. It can also aid in decision making, by providing a more comprehensive understanding of the potential outcomes of a situation.