Basic Question: Positive and Negative Electrical Charge

In summary: If you are interested in learning more about the difference between positive and negative electric charge, I would recommend reading "Electricity and Magnetism" by Michael Faraday. It is a very simple book that covers the basics of electric and magnetic force and how they interact with each other.
Sathyaish
I am not a student of Physics. I want to know. I am curious. I never understood a basic thing. What is the difference between a positive and a negative electrical charge? What characteristics describe the two charges?

Are they just something you mug up as a given example of the duality in the natural laws -- such as the existence two genders -- without probing further into the individual natures that distinguish the elements in the duality?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aside from the obvious (like charges repel, opposites attract)?

Particle physicists often use symmetry arguments to explain why positive charge must exist in conjunction with negative charge. For example, it can be argued that for each particle there must exist a corresponding anti-particle; and that anti-particle must possesses a charge opposite to that of the original particle.

One could then query why electrons possesses negative charges etc. but this really boils down to why "normal" matter dominates ordinary matter, a question which is currently unresolved.

This is not my field of expertise, so I'm hand waving a little here.

Claude.

One should be careful though to not confuse the proton as being the anti-electron, because it has the opposite charge of an electron. The antiparticle of the electron is the positron, not the proton.

The idea of positive and negative charge came from experimental observations that some objects attracted each other, while others repeled each other. To explain this effect, it became convenient to come up with the idea of positive and negative charge. From a modern perspective, we now know charge comes from the U(1) gauge symmetry of the QED Lagrangian (I know if you are not a physicist, this just sounds like math jargon).

Sathyaish said:
I am not a student of Physics. I want to know. I am curious. I never understood a basic thing. What is the difference between a positive and a negative electrical charge? What characteristics describe the two charges?

Are they just something you mug up as a given example of the duality in the natural laws -- such as the existence two genders -- without probing further into the individual natures that distinguish the elements in the duality?

"Probing further into the individual natures that distinguish the elements in the duality" is what goes on all the time in physics research, and has been going on for electric charge for a very long time.

If you want to get deeper into the nature of electric charge, you probably need to learn the theory of QED and the charge renormalisation. It is fascinating, but demands a comprehensive knowledge of physics.

I understand some of each of your answers. Thank you for taking the time.

But I feel like I need some basic prep before I can understand the answer to my question.

Could you point me to a very basic book on Physics that will be nice to read for a newbie? I must understand its contents and enjoy reading it.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is electrical charge?

Electrical charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It is measured in units of coulombs (C).

What are positive and negative electrical charges?

Positive and negative electrical charges are two types of charges that exist in nature. Positive charges are associated with protons, which have a positive charge, while negative charges are associated with electrons, which have a negative charge. These charges are equal in magnitude but opposite in sign.

What causes an object to have a positive or negative charge?

An object can acquire a positive or negative charge through the gain or loss of electrons. When an object gains electrons, it becomes negatively charged, and when it loses electrons, it becomes positively charged. This process is known as charging by contact or friction.

What is the difference between an insulator and a conductor in relation to electrical charge?

Insulators are materials that do not allow the flow of electrical charges, while conductors are materials that allow the flow of electrical charges. This is because insulators have tightly bound electrons, whereas conductors have loosely bound electrons that are free to move.

How do positive and negative charges interact with each other?

Positive and negative charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. This force is responsible for many phenomena, including the attraction between protons and electrons in an atom and the attraction between two oppositely charged particles.