1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic statistics question

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Fisher presents the following data, which give the logarithm to the base 10 of the volume occupied by algal cells on successive days, taken over a period for which the relative growth rate is approximately constant.

Day 1 = 3.592, Day 2 = 3.823, Day 3 = 4.174, Day 4 = 4.532, Day 5 = 4.956, Day 6 = 5.163, Day 7 = 5.495 Day 8 = 5.602, Day 9 = 6.087

Plot y against x. Do you think that the logarithmic transformation is appropriate? If so, why? Calculate and interpret the sample co-relation coefficient . By the method of least squares, fit log = alpha + betax to the n = 9 data points.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know what they mean by "transformation is appropriate". What am I supposed to do here? I also don't get what they want me to do with the calculation. Is X the n here? Plug in the values and then calculate it?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Tukey discusses the relationship between the vapor pressure of B-trimethyl -borazole ( ym in millimeters of mercury) and temperature ( x, in C )

X= 13 y= 2.9 X=56.1 y=51.4 (It's a list with 4 columns. 8 rows ))
    X=19.5 y= 5.1 X64.4 y=74.5

Plot y against x. How can we straighten this plot? Try various transformations.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, straighten what, how? To it's a straight horizontal line? so I have to compare the X and Y values and find a pattern ? Like, X=4 y=2.. then just use square root for all the y values?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

have you plotted you plotted the data? if so what do you see?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook