Transforming the data in order to create a linear relationship between x and y.

• Thread starter XodoX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the first conversation discusses a Fisher's data on the logarithm of volume occupied by algal cells over a period with constant relative growth rate. The question asks about the appropriateness of logarithmic transformation and the calculation and interpretation of the sample correlation coefficient. The second conversation presents data on the relationship between vapor pressure and temperature and asks to plot it and straighten the plot through transformations. It is unclear what the desired outcome is for the second conversation.
XodoX

Homework Statement

A Fisher presents the following data, which give the logarithm to the base 10 of the volume occupied by algal cells on successive days, taken over a period for which the relative growth rate is approximately constant.

Day 1 = 3.592, Day 2 = 3.823, Day 3 = 4.174, Day 4 = 4.532, Day 5 = 4.956, Day 6 = 5.163, Day 7 = 5.495 Day 8 = 5.602, Day 9 = 6.087

Plot y against x. Do you think that the logarithmic transformation is appropriate? If so, why? Calculate and interpret the sample co-relation coefficient . By the method of least squares, fit log = alpha + betax to the n = 9 data points.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what they mean by "transformation is appropriate". What am I supposed to do here? I also don't get what they want me to do with the calculation. Is X the n here? Plug in the values and then calculate it?

Homework Statement

Tukey discusses the relationship between the vapor pressure of B-trimethyl -borazole ( ym in millimeters of mercury) and temperature ( x, in C )

X= 13 y= 2.9 X=56.1 y=51.4 (It's a list with 4 columns. 8 rows ))
X=19.5 y= 5.1 X64.4 y=74.5

Plot y against x. How can we straighten this plot? Try various transformations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, straighten what, how? To it's a straight horizontal line? so I have to compare the X and Y values and find a pattern ? Like, X=4 y=2.. then just use square root for all the y values?

Physics news on Phys.org
have you plotted you plotted the data? if so what do you see?

Related to Transforming the data in order to create a linear relationship between x and y.

1. What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

The mean is the average of a set of numbers, calculated by adding all the numbers together and dividing by the total number of values. The median is the middle value when the numbers are arranged in order. The mode is the most frequently occurring value in the set.

2. What is standard deviation and why is it important?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out the numbers in a data set are. It tells us how much the numbers deviate from the mean. It is important because it helps us understand the variability and distribution of the data, and can be used to compare different sets of data.

3. How do I interpret a p-value?

A p-value is a measure of the probability that the results of a statistical test occurred by chance. A p-value less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant, meaning that the results are unlikely to have occurred by chance and are likely due to the variable being tested.

4. What is a confidence interval?

A confidence interval is a range of values that we are fairly confident contains the true value of a population parameter. It is typically expressed as a percentage, such as a 95% confidence interval, which means that we are 95% confident that the true value falls within that range.

5. How do I choose the right statistical test for my data?

Choosing the right statistical test depends on the type of data you have and the question you are trying to answer. Some commonly used tests include t-tests for comparing two groups, ANOVA for comparing more than two groups, and regression for examining relationships between variables. Consulting with a statistician or using online resources can help determine the most appropriate test for your data.