Basic stats question involving borel sets

• Thread starter bennyska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets Stats
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of Borel sets and the confusion the speaker is facing while trying to solve an exercise related to it. The speaker expresses their lack of understanding of Borel sets and how they differ from usual sets. They also point out contradictions and missing information in the given exercise, seeking help to clarify their doubts. The other person in the conversation, who is an expert in statistics, agrees that there might be some missing information and mentions that it has been a long time since they have taught the subject. The conversation ends with the speaker further discussing their understanding of the exercise and seeking clarification on some specific points.
bennyska

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/tjpka.png (the actual problem is the third part down)

Homework Equations

the first two parts are the definition of borel sets,and the second part is a relevant theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

so I'm new to Borel sets. And I feel like I'm missing something big, because this exercise seems to contradict a lot of statistics I've learned. I have a feeling once I get what I'm missing, it should be relatively easy to prove this stuff, but if someone could help me find out what it is I'm missing, it would be greatly appreciated.

For example: (i) from the exercise. This seems to be true if and only if A and B are disjoint, but nowhere are we told this is so. (ii) seems to imply that AUB = 1 (following from (iv) of the theorem), but again, we are not told this. (iii) seems to imply that A⊆C, or C⊆A, but nowhere are we told this is so. (iv) I haven't started yet, but I'm not worried about that one; at first glance it just looks like letting AUB equal one set, and then using the theorem. But the first 3 are proving a big conceptual block for me.

again, I think I'm missing exactly what a Borel set is, and how it is different than a usual set. Any help with that would be awesome. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's been about 45 years since I taught any stat courses and, believe it or not, even teachers forget eventually :mad:. But, for what it's worth, I don't think you are missing anything. It looks to me like some hypotheses are left out, as you suspect.

(i) of 1.3.5 clearly contradicts (iv) of 1.3.1

1.3.1 seem completely correct except that in (i) it says P(A) = 1, while that should be P(S) = 1.

I cannot make much sense out of 1.3.5 - except by assuming there are additional restrictions on A, B & C, which are not shown in the excerpt.

1. What are Borel sets?

Borel sets are a specific type of set in mathematics that are used to describe the collection of all possible subsets of a given set. They are named after the French mathematician Émile Borel and are widely used in mathematical analysis and probability theory.

2. How are Borel sets defined?

Borel sets are defined as the smallest collection of subsets of a given set that contains all open intervals. This means that a set is a Borel set if it can be formed by combining open intervals in some way, such as taking unions, intersections, or complements.

3. What is the importance of Borel sets in statistics?

Borel sets are important in statistics because they provide a way to describe and analyze events that occur within a given set. They are particularly useful in probability theory, where they are used to define Borel measures, which are used to assign probabilities to events.

4. Can any set be a Borel set?

No, not every set can be a Borel set. There are sets that are not Borel sets, such as uncountable sets or non-measurable sets. A set must meet certain criteria, such as being able to be formed by combining open intervals, to be considered a Borel set.

5. How are Borel sets used in data analysis?

Borel sets are used in data analysis to define measurable functions, which are functions that map elements from one set to another. These functions are used to describe relationships between variables and are essential for statistical analysis and modeling.