What is the basic definition and application of the virial theorem?

In summary, the virial theorem is a mathematical trick that helps express the integrated effects of force balance over an entire system. It has a conventional form for systems with an internal attraction and zero external forces, but other forms exist when there are external forces.
Browntown
TL;DR Summary
Please help me understand virial theorem
Hello,

This term in university I'm taking a second year intro to astrophysics course and my professor talks a lot about different situations and then solves a problem using the virial theorem. The reason I'm confused is because the range of topics that he applies this theorem to vary in many different ways and he never explained the basic definition or how this theorem manages to apply to so many different applications.

If someone could help give me a very basic, low level understanding of what the virial theorem is, it would help me a ton.

Thank you!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Browntown said:
Summary: Please help me understand virial theorem

If someone could help give me a very basic, low level understanding of what the virial theorem is, it would help me a ton.
There are ton's of online sources. Maybe if you tell us which part in the theory you did not understand then we might help you better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virial_theoremhttp://hosting.astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro201/vt.htmhttp://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/V/Virial+Theorem
And there are many more...

Likes PeroK
The virial theorem is essentially a mathematical trick for expressing the integrated effects of force balance over an entire system. Its most conventional form is for systems with an internal attraction (often gravity) and zero external forces (like pressure), but other forms exist when there are external forces (including one where there is only external pressure and no internal forces on a gas, related to what gets called "the ideal gas law").

So yes, the virial theorem takes many forms, but the "virial" part is just a clever mathematical trick, and the result of the theorem is always just global force balance expressed in energy units, sometimes total energy, sometimes energy per particle, and sometimes energy per volume (as in the ideal gas law).

Often it has the intuitive meaning that for force balance, the total kinetic energy in a system in a steady state must be similar (not necessarily equal) to the energy released in contracting the system from infinity (in the case of an inverse-square force like gravity), or the energy required to expand it from a tiny volume (in the case of a spring force or an external pressure). It's just really useful, so gets used in a lot of contexts, but can be a bit of a pain to derive in detail every time-- so that's probably why your teacher invokes it without really explaining where it comes from.

Likes Bandersnatch

1. What is the basic virial theorem?

The basic virial theorem is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics that relates the average kinetic energy and potential energy of a system. It states that the time-averaged kinetic energy of a system is equal to the negative of the time-averaged potential energy.

2. How is the basic virial theorem derived?

The basic virial theorem is derived from the equations of motion in classical mechanics and the assumption of ergodicity, which states that the time average of a system is equal to its ensemble average. It can also be derived using statistical mechanics and the partition function of a system.

3. What is the significance of the basic virial theorem?

The basic virial theorem is significant because it provides a relationship between the macroscopic properties of a system, such as kinetic and potential energy, and the microscopic behavior of its individual particles. It is also used in various fields, such as astrophysics and thermodynamics, to understand the behavior of complex systems.

4. Can the basic virial theorem be applied to all systems?

No, the basic virial theorem is only applicable to systems that are in equilibrium and have a well-defined potential energy. It also assumes that the system is large enough to satisfy the ergodicity assumption. Therefore, it cannot be applied to non-equilibrium systems or systems with highly complex interactions.

5. How does the basic virial theorem relate to the ideal gas law?

The basic virial theorem can be used to derive the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. By assuming that the particles in an ideal gas have no interactions, the virial theorem can be simplified to the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.