1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basics of pressure and pascal's principle

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    I've being studying fluids and pressure, but want to clarify something. Take a rough example of a force applied on a fluid/gas is it correct to say that from 'P + pgh' one can say that as the volume and height increases or with these increasing layers there is more force been 'packed' behind /generated with the greater depth and from the receiving end a greater output in terms of force with each increase of depth directly vertically below the applied force (ignoring where pressure gauges often channel forces horizontally away and then opposite in direction up an exit pipe which balances forces, e.g. barometer or manometer). In a sense can I say that because of depth, height and pressure an initial input force can increase/multiply because of these factors for a greater output force.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I'm not clear as to what exactly you are asking. Is the fluid in a rigid container, a cylinder/piston assembly, or something else?

CS

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    Well I'm not fussy, can be any of those, (unless of course that changes how the the force is communicated through the fluid/gas) I'm concerned about the underlying principle.

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Perhaps this will help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/pasc.html

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook