Basics of pressure and pascal's principle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
johndb
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
I've being studying fluids and pressure, but want to clarify something. Take a rough example of a force applied on a fluid/gas is it correct to say that from 'P + pgh' one can say that as the volume and height increases or with these increasing layers there is more force been 'packed' behind /generated with the greater depth and from the receiving end a greater output in terms of force with each increase of depth directly vertically below the applied force (ignoring where pressure gauges often channel forces horizontally away and then opposite in direction up an exit pipe which balances forces, e.g. barometer or manometer). In a sense can I say that because of depth, height and pressure an initial input force can increase/multiply because of these factors for a greater output force.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johndb said:
I've being studying fluids and pressure, but want to clarify something. Take a rough example of a force applied on a fluid/gas is it correct to say that from 'P + pgh' one can say that as the volume and height increases or with these increasing layers there is more force been 'packed' behind /generated with the greater depth and from the receiving end a greater output in terms of force with each increase of depth directly vertically below the applied force (ignoring where pressure gauges often channel forces horizontally away and then opposite in direction up an exit pipe which balances forces). In a sense can I say that because of depth, height and pressure an initial input force can increase/multiply because of these factors for a greater output force.

I'm not clear as to what exactly you are asking. Is the fluid in a rigid container, a cylinder/piston assembly, or something else?

CS
 
Well I'm not fussy, can be any of those, (unless of course that changes how the the force is communicated through the fluid/gas) I'm concerned about the underlying principle.