Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What pressure not increases if I seal the container?

1. Jun 11, 2016 #1
    CASE1:
    A container with some water is open to atmosphere, pressure is definitely atmospheric, no somehow I put cover over it and sealed it also. Pressure would increase because new equilibrium will establish between water and its vapour so pressure will increase in the closed container.

CASE2:
    There is an empty container that means only air, now I cover it. Pressure will not increase; but my doubt is; as atmospheric pressure is defined as the weight of atmosphere over it divided by the surface area. As I close the container the weight is acting on the cover that load will be taken by the whole container so how the particles inside the container will feel the atmospheric pressure? Cover is not a fluid that means no pascals law; so how pressure reaches inside the container?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2016 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Before any hypothetical vapor is emitted from the surface of the sealed-in water, that water is under atmospheric pressure. It was at atmospheric pressure before it was sealed in so it will be at atmospheric pressure immediately after.

If any vapor were to come out, it would be under at least one atmosphere of pressure. But under one atmosphere of pressure, that vapor would be condensing. So no vapor can come out. So pressure remains at one atmosphere.
    Pressure is not defined as the weight of atmosphere divided by surface area. It is defined as force per unit area regardless of what is exerting that force.

4. Jun 11, 2016 #3
    In first case; evaporation rate will become slower and more number of vapor will be above water surface. As diffusion of vapor is now stopped.

In second case; I don't understand why pressure is same. What is the new force that come into play for creating same pressure.

5. Jun 11, 2016 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Did you seal it with zero head space or with some air-filled head space?

6. Jun 11, 2016 #5
    some air filled head space

7. Jun 11, 2016 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Oh, that makes sense then. Yes. If the head space is dry air then vapor can evaporate into the head space and increase the pressure within the container.

8. Jun 11, 2016 #7
    Help me in the second case :frown:

9. Jun 11, 2016 #8

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Boyle's law. If you start with enough gas in the container to maintain atmospheric pressure at its current temperature then closing the lid will not change that.

10. Jun 11, 2016 #9
    Didn't get you; sorry

11. Jun 11, 2016 #10

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Judging by the rapidity of your response, you did not Google Boyle's law. Accordingly, I will stop helping you.

12. Jun 11, 2016 #11
    Actually Sir, I know Boyle's law as follows; Pressure is inversely proportional to the volume, if temperature remains contant. But I was not able to relate this concept here

13. Jun 11, 2016 #12

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The volume of the chamber does not change just because you close the lid. Accordingly, the pressure does not change just because you close the lid.

14. Jun 11, 2016 #13
    I always used to relate atmospheric pressure due to weight of the air. What I understand atmosphere is hydrostatic that means each part of it is at 1atm; neglect pressure change due to height as density is low.

But something hollow solid container is placed in that sea of atmosphere and as solid will not follow pascal's law it, air inside the container will not experience the same pressure as outside. But here thermodynamics come into play. Due to isothermal condition. I think I am almost convinced but something is missing in my conceptualization.

15. Jun 11, 2016 #14

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Suppose you seal the container as before. Then you take the container and fly it out into space. Do you expect the pressure within the container to change?

16. Jun 11, 2016 #15
    You have a point. I got it; pressure will be same; that's how pressure is maintained in airplanes at high altitudes.

I think I am lacking in something very primitive concept. But now what I think let me tell you. When container was open; air above it also playing role in the pressure of the air inside the container; but when I put lid over it, I created a new wall for the collisions of the molecules inside the container that is compensating the less pressure due to no interaction with air outside the container.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted