1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battery to battery straight wire of current?

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    While I was looking at an example of the Biot-Savart Law for a finite, straight wire of current, I started considering whether one can easily create one in practice.

If I hooked up the positive terminal of a 9 V battery by a resistance to the negative terminal of another 9 V battery, would there be a steady current? If so, if I then tested the space around it with a magnetometer, would I roughly get the magnetic field intensities around the wire that I'd expect from the math?

The main issue I see with a battery to battery hookup would be the fast accumulation of charge in one of the batteries - which isn't an issue for a circuit current from a single battery (the battery itself remains neutral in that case).

I understand this question is more practical than theoretical, and I apologize if it's asked in the wrong forum.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2
    Yor system wouldn't work because it isn't a closed circuit. Charges will pile up at the end of both batteries (in a short time) and there will not be a steady charge flow (current).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook