BBCodes on PF: Solve Issues & Make Requests

• Thread starter lpetrich
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of codes for creating markup in posts, specifically "sup" and "sub" codes for superscript and subscript text. There is also a mention of a lack of a "noparse" code and a request for a "table" code. The conversation also touches on possible issues with BBCodes and the use of CSS in the styling of text. Finally, it is mentioned that the sub and sup codes have defined properties and will be added as editor buttons.
lpetrich
These are codes for creating markup in your posts.

I've tried "sup" (superscript) and "sub" (subscript), and they make the text smaller but not raised or lowered:
x2 x2 x2

Would it be OK to have a Wikipedia "wiki" BBCode?

I've also noticed a lack of a "noparse" BBCode.

Any problems with BBCodes? Any requests?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for reminding me. I need to convert a lot of old bbcode.

4324 12343

Last edited:
I did some testing it's completely bizarre. The source code look fine. I even tried different fonts and they all won't work. Perhaps there is some styling that is keeping everything in line.

I think
Code:
vertical-align: baseline;
is a culprit.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Seems like a problem with the CSS code for HTML tags <sup> and <sub>, which is what "sup" and "sub" get turned into. I tried both tags in a HTML sandbox site, and they worked properly.

I have another request. A "table" BBCode. Given what we often discuss here, it would be valuable, but one was never installed in the vB3 version of this site. vB4 has BBCode tables built in, but its BBCodes for tables closely parallel the HTML tags for tables: table overall, tr for rows, td and th for cells. So one could do tables that way.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
lpetrich said:
I have another request. A "table" BBCode.

Good suggestion

Borek said:
is a culprit.

That makes some sense, but I don't see that being used for the message text styling. Do you see it?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Do you see it?

In Opera Dragonfly it is listed as style of these characters, if I understand the situation correctly it is taken from the css.php file. Switching it (locally) off makes the subscript to drop below the baseline, see these two screenshots:

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

Likes TumblingDice and Greg Bernhardt
Strange that the sub and sup have properties. They must be inheriting them somehow. Anyway, I've explicitly defined them and they work. Nice job @Borek ! I'll make editor buttons for them later today.

1. What are BBCodes?

BBCodes (Bulletin Board Codes) are a simplified version of HTML that is used to format text on online forums and message boards. They allow users to add formatting, such as bold or italic text, to their posts without needing knowledge of HTML.

2. How do BBCodes work on PF?

On PF (PlanetFitness), BBCodes are used to format text in forum posts and private messages. Users can add BBCodes by using the appropriate tags, such as [b] for bold text or [img] for images, around the text they want to format. These tags will be interpreted by the PF system and displayed accordingly.

3. Can I use custom BBCodes on PF?

Currently, PF does not support custom BBCodes. However, users can make requests for new BBCodes to be added by submitting a request through the "BBCodes on PF: Solve Issues & Make Requests" section of the forum. The PF team will review the request and may add it to the list of available BBCodes.

4. What should I do if I encounter issues with BBCodes on PF?

If you encounter any issues with BBCodes on PF, you can first check the "BBCodes on PF: Solve Issues & Make Requests" section of the forum to see if the issue has already been addressed. If not, you can make a post detailing the issue and the PF team will work to resolve it.

5. How can I learn more about using BBCodes on PF?

You can visit the "BBCodes on PF: Solve Issues & Make Requests" section of the forum for more information on using BBCodes on PF. Additionally, there are many online resources that can provide tutorials and guides on using BBCodes effectively on forums and message boards.