Beam of particles, scattering

In summary, the problem is to find the thickness of a wall that will allow exactly half of a beam of particles to pass through without scattering. The wall contains 2 x 10^29 atoms per m^3, with each atom behaving like a sphere of radius 3 x 10^-15 m. Using the equation for mean free path, the thickness can be calculated by considering the surface area of the spheres relative to the wall area. To find the macroscopic cross section, the microscopic cross section is multiplied by the total number of atoms. From there, the exponential attenuation formula can be used to solve for the desired thickness.
leviathanX777

Homework Statement

A beam of particles strike a wall containing 2 x 10^29 atoms per m^3. each atom behaves like a sphere of radius 3 x 10^-15 m. Find the thickness of the wall that exactly half the particles will penetrate without scattering. What thickness would be needed to stop all but one particle in 10^6

Homework Equations

the mean free path (λ) = 1/nσ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start the solution. I can't find an equation that will bring the thickness of the wall into the problem

Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm... you could consider the surface area effectivley covered by the spheres... what is that relative to the wall area in terms of the thickness?

I do not know the wall area, it didn't say.

Cool problem. I would approach it this way: The microscopic cross-section is ~ the area presented by a single nucleus, so in this case [itex]\sigma[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]*(3x10-15 m)2 = 2.83 x 10-29 m2

Once you have that, you can calculate the macroscopic cross section using [itex]\Sigma[/itex]=N[itex]\sigma[/itex] and then you can use the exponential attenuation formula I = I0exp(-[itex]\Sigma[/itex]t) to solve for the penetration depth t.

1. What is a beam of particles?

A beam of particles is a group of particles that are moving in a specific direction with a specific energy and momentum. These particles can be atoms, electrons, protons, or other subatomic particles.

2. What is scattering?

Scattering is a physical process in which particles are deflected or redirected from their original path due to interactions with other particles or fields. In the case of a beam of particles, scattering occurs when the particles encounter other particles or objects in their path, causing them to change direction or lose energy.

3. How is a beam of particles scattered?

A beam of particles can be scattered through various mechanisms, such as elastic scattering, in which the particles collide and bounce off each other without any energy loss, or inelastic scattering, in which the particles exchange energy and change their direction. The specific scattering mechanism depends on the properties of the particles and the objects they interact with.

4. What is the purpose of studying beam scattering?

Studying beam scattering can provide insights into the properties of particles and their interactions with other particles and fields. It can also be used to understand the structure of matter and to develop new technologies, such as particle accelerators and medical imaging techniques.

5. How is beam scattering measured?

Beam scattering is typically measured using detectors, such as particle detectors or photographic plates, which can detect and record the scattering events. The data collected from these measurements can then be analyzed to determine the properties of the particles and their interactions.