Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam/plate on elastic foundation?

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    As part of my project (designing an artificial spinal disc) I have to design the enplate pieces which will attach to the bone.

I am familiar with beam theory with regards to simple supports or cantilever beams but i have not yet studied beams on elastic foundation. I would be extremely greatful if someone could help me with this. I believe the endplate (shown in the link below) is similar to a beam/plate on elastic foundation when under a compressive load of 2000N.

http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndplatenb5.jpg

I want to find the maximum bending stress due to this load but do not know how?

Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Rather than rehash everything, I have a chapter of my Advanced Mechanics of Materials book by Cook and Young that covers this topic. I scanned it in, but it is about 100 k over the attachment limit. I'll have to see if there is another way to post it. I'll be right back. In the mean time, do a search for beams on Winkler foundations.

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. Feb 25, 2008 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I guess I don't need to worry now. The links Cyclovenom posted are out of the same book.

6. Feb 25, 2008 #5
    thankyou very much. This seems to be exactly what i needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?