Beam/plate on elastic foundation?

• Thread starter cabellos6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary, the conversation revolves around designing enplate pieces for an artificial spinal disc and the need to understand beams on elastic foundation. The person is looking for help in finding the maximum bending stress for a compressive load of 2000N and is directed to a chapter in a book and some online resources for further assistance.
cabellos6
As part of my project (designing an artificial spinal disc) I have to design the enplate pieces which will attach to the bone.

I am familiar with beam theory with regards to simple supports or cantilever beams but i have not yet studied beams on elastic foundation. I would be extremely greatful if someone could help me with this. I believe the endplate (shown in the link below) is similar to a beam/plate on elastic foundation when under a compressive load of 2000N.

http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndplatenb5.jpg

I want to find the maximum bending stress due to this load but do not know how?

Thankyou.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rather than rehash everything, I have a chapter of my Advanced Mechanics of Materials book by Cook and Young that covers this topic. I scanned it in, but it is about 100 k over the attachment limit. I'll have to see if there is another way to post it. I'll be right back. In the mean time, do a search for beams on Winkler foundations.

Here is a link to a website that can help http://www.me.ust.hk/~meqpsun/Notes/Chapter4(202).PDF"

and some samples here

http://www.me.ust.hk/~meqpsun/Notes/Tutorial_6.pdf"

I cannot see your image very well, could you attach it or something?.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't need to worry now. The links Cyclovenom posted are out of the same book.

thankyou very much. This seems to be exactly what i needed.

1. What is a beam/plate on elastic foundation?

A beam/plate on elastic foundation is a structural system used in engineering to analyze the behavior of a beam or plate when it is supported by an elastic foundation. This type of analysis takes into consideration the deformation and stress that occurs in the foundation due to the weight of the beam/plate and any external loads.

2. How is the stiffness of the elastic foundation determined?

The stiffness of the elastic foundation is determined by factors such as the soil properties, geometry of the foundation, and the type of loading. It can be calculated using various methods such as the Winkler model, which assumes that the foundation behaves like a series of springs, or the Boussinesq model, which considers the soil as an elastic half-space.

3. What is the significance of using an elastic foundation in beam/plate analysis?

An elastic foundation is used in beam/plate analysis because it provides a more realistic representation of the behavior of the structure. It takes into account the interaction between the beam/plate and the supporting foundation, which affects the overall deformation and stress distribution in the structure.

4. Is it necessary to consider the effect of the elastic foundation in all beam/plate analysis?

No, it is not necessary to consider the effect of the elastic foundation in all cases. This type of analysis is typically used for structures that are supported by soil or other elastic materials, such as foundations, retaining walls, and slabs. In cases where the structure is supported by rigid materials, such as concrete or steel, the effect of the elastic foundation is negligible.

5. What are some limitations of using an elastic foundation in beam/plate analysis?

One limitation of using an elastic foundation is that it assumes a linear relationship between stress and strain, which may not always hold true in real-life scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the results obtained from this type of analysis can be affected by factors such as the choice of the foundation model and the assumptions made in the analysis. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using an elastic foundation in beam/plate analysis.