Beat Frequency: How Does it Change With Pure Tone Increase?

In summary, when playing two pure tones together, a beat frequency is created. If either of the two tones is increased, the beat frequency can either increase or decrease, depending on whether the frequencies become closer or further apart. So, changing the frequency of one note can affect the beat frequency in either direction. This understanding is reflected in the conversation where it is confirmed that increasing either tone can lead to a change in the beat frequency.
T@P
if i play two pure tones together, i create a beat frequency. if i increase, any of the two pure tones, what happens to the beat frequency?

heres my logic as to why the beat frequency can go either way: Fb = F1-F2, so if you increase F1 it increases and the opposite if you increase F2.

how wrong am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
T@P,

you are correct.

TRoc

In other words, it is a matter of whether changing the frequency of one note moves the frequencies close together or further apart.

wow

that means I got the question right on the test! YAY

What is beat frequency?

Beat frequency is the difference in frequency between two sound waves that have slightly different frequencies. It is perceived as a pulsing or throbbing sound.

How is beat frequency related to pure tone increase?

When the frequency of one pure tone is increased, the beat frequency also increases. This is because the difference in frequency between the two tones becomes larger, resulting in a faster pulsing sound.

What factors can affect beat frequency?

The factors that can affect beat frequency include the difference in frequency between the two tones, the amplitude of the tones, and the distance between the two sources of the sound.

What is the formula for calculating beat frequency?

The formula for calculating beat frequency is: fbeat = |f1 - f2|, where fbeat is the beat frequency and f1 and f2 are the frequencies of the two tones.

How does beat frequency change with pure tone increase?

As the frequency of one pure tone increases, the beat frequency also increases. This is because the difference in frequency between the two tones becomes larger, resulting in a faster pulsing sound.