Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

Hi, I'm new to the forum, also wandering if I should become an Engineer :)

I'm currently 13, yr 8 at high school and love the idea of designing something that could benefit the world some way. But I have a few questions...

1. I live in Australia, is the process of becoming an Engineer over here any different to USA or UK?
2. Is being an engineer hands on? as in, would I actually get to fabricate what I design, or is it just watching the project coming together? because I love using machinery & using my hands.
3. What type of engineer do you honestly think makes the most difference in the world?
4. Where does this career go? where is the farthest it can take you?

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

i always wanted to be an engineer but somehow i landed into a very wrong field is it possible for me to become engineer i am already 27

besto zesto said:
is it possible for me to become engineer i am already 27
Sure, if you have the work ethic.

Sorry fourfingered, I was hoping someone in Australia would get back to you.
2. It depends on you. Some specializations/jobs are hands on, others not so much, and you apply for the types you want. Sometimes you get to fabricate a few prototypes, but usually fabrication is done by really expensive industrial machines.

3. The type that can go out and join engineers without borders or habitat for humanity or make enough money to donate to some charity or volunteer to tutor or otherwise get involved with the world? I think every type of engineering discipline has the potential to make the world a better place.

4. Depends on you. Some CEOs and CIOs are engineers.

Hey everybody. I'm currently in a community college in California and am very seriously considering engineering. I really enjoy math and did good in an introductory physics class I took. Next semester I will start to take the heavy courses in Calculus, Chemistry, and maybe Computer science (depending on whether or not it's required for my major).

However, choosing a branch of engineering is what is challenging for me. I'm considering Electrical, Chemical, and Bio for the meantime. They're obviously all very different, but each appeals to me for a different reason. Electrical because I've heard it's slightly math intensive and could directly relate to my interest in music (perhaps working in the recording), Chemical because I may find I really enjoy chemistry (though I've heard it's not quite as chemistry intensive as one may think), and Bio because I've enjoyed biology in the past and it would help in the case I wanted to get into a health profession.

The nature of the actual work plays a big role for me as well. I don't know if working in a chemical plant appeals to me (ie, chemical engineering). But I don't know the nature of most engineering jobs as I don't know any engineers personally.

What are the general environments that each Electrical, Chemical, and Bio engineers work? I understand that they are varied fields, so they won't fit a specific mold, but I'm curious as to a slight idea of the places they work, the types of general work that they do, etc.

Thanks

Shahil said:
Okay, here's my input. At the moment I'm a 2nd year electronic engineering student in South Africa. I, personally, love studying engineering though it's one field that can guarantee that if you're a little insane, you're sure to BE insane by the end of your years of studying.

To be an engineer, I think, you should have a flair for Maths. Especially if you're thinking of doing it professionally with a degree instead of a technical diploma, the theoretical aspect of maths will ensure your great understanding of concepts you will probably only apply years after graduating.

Also, as much as I'm not really this type, you have to have a practical understanding of things. Granted (at leats I've been told) that as a qualified engineer, you can never do a practical application again - but rather just the calculations - if you can't see the solution, it ain't going to work.

Anyway, let's get onto something I definitely KNOW about - student life. Studying engineering is basically a self-imposed 4 (or more) year sentence to hard labour. You WILL have no time, you WILL have 30 odd page reports due every week, you WILL lose like a million hours of sleep, you WILL have an astronomical coffee bill, you WILL be stressed, you WILL at times have no clue what you're doing BUT if you are true engineering material, you WILL never look back and even half-consider changing your course.

I think engineering is a calling. You know, as an engineer, you are at the forefront of development and your company that you will have on campus (ie. other engineers) will be like minded people who CAN make a difference (maybe not politically but more uh...structurally) in the world. Even though you appear to have no life, engineering will ensure that you do enjoy yourself after all - as an engineer, you will "engineer" free time and yes, I know that was a dry joke.

As for the field - that's personal. You have to have an interset in that field to choose it. However, I say that Electronic/Electrical/Computer is the way if you are more mathematically inclined as mech/aero/civil etc. are very practical fields compared to elec.

Also, when I was deciding on my career path, I was informed about this "wonder" that encompasses engineering. Once in the job market, you may never ever have to do engineering again. Why? Employers employ engineers in fields which require brilliant thought and introspection. By attaining an engineering degree, it shows you have exquisite probel-solvng skills. Also, engineering does, in a way, teach you to think.

Lastly, the money is good BUT you should

NEVER
NEVER
NEVER
NEVER

ever choose a career for the money - and I'll stand by that.

Hope this helps. :smile:

is that why rowan atkinson (mr.bean) gave up being an engineer and become an actor? ahaha

It is normal to love physics and math but don't like chemistry?

AlexES16 said:
It is normal to love physics and math but don't like chemistry?

I guess all sciences all carry elements of each, you can't possibly master every sector of science. There is math, physics, nanotechnology, radio astronomy etc, all separate components but all still encompassing one another to a certain degree so sure, it is possible to excel in one of your choice and not necessarily be interested in another. For me, I can't stand Chemistry but I love physics and math.

Hi, I read the first few pages of this thread, as well as the last few, and they were very helpful.

I'm a junior in high school right now, and I think mechanical engineering is probably where I'll be heading. I really enjoy applying concepts to the real world, such as in Rube Goldberg machines, which I used to make out of my brother's ordinary building toys. I like learning about the physical sciences especially; I did very well in A.P. Chemistry and was really interested in the subject material, and look forward to A.P. Physics next year. I also like to "tinker" with things, like with model planes. I keep all the old parts from old planes in a box, and it seems that most of them find an unorthodox use at some point in the future. Somewhat unrelated, I have a thing for psychology as well, mostly involving perceptions and the act of dreaming.

My only issue as of now is that had I breezed through every year of math, until this year. I'm in pre-calculus, and though I currently have an A, (stepped up after having a B last semester) it's been harder than usual. Next year I'll be taking A.P. Calculus and I hope I can keep up.

I think engineering seems like a great thing to learn, not just for a career, but for life in general. I'd assume that the ability to find practical, economical solutions has many uses. And it seems to me at least that by learning how systems work, and designing them, you'd be more adept at fixing things yourself. Anyway, it sounds like something I might fit in to.

don't you think that this is impossible for somr fields e.g Aero and physics?i mean these are so hard.....

Dina1372 said:
don't you think that this is impossible for somr fields e.g Aero and physics?i mean these are so hard.....

time and dedication

eveo said:
I guess all sciences all carry elements of each, you can't possibly master every sector of science. There is math, physics, nanotechnology, radio astronomy etc, all separate components but all still encompassing one another to a certain degree so sure, it is possible to excel in one of your choice and not necessarily be interested in another. For me, I can't stand Chemistry but I love physics and math.

We are on the same both then. I am thinking in Mechanical engineering.

AlexES16 said:
We are on the same both then. I am thinking in Mechanical engineering.

Good stuff, if that's is what you are interested in then pursue it, I'm taking pure Physics in University. I'm extremely happy that I don't require Chemistry to be admitted into Physics.

eveo said:
Good stuff, if that's is what you are interested in then pursue it, I'm taking pure Physics in University. I'm extremely happy that I don't require Chemistry to be admitted into Physics.

hi,
which part of the world are you taking your degree at?

eveo said:

What's wrong with Chem man? :frown:

Philip Wong said:
hi,

University of Waterloo
Ontario
Canada

Je m'appelle said:
What's wrong with Chem man? :frown:

aw, nothing is wrong with chem. I just don't find it as interesting!

Originally Posted by Philip Wong View Post

hi,

University of Waterloo
Ontario
Canada

Originally Posted by Je m'appelle View Post

What's wrong with Chem man?

Dude you're at waterloo sciences? Are currently in the program or just accepted. I'm asking cause I want to go to U of T for physics and math but before I make my final decision I want to learn about my options. I've been accepted to Waterloo math and I'm interested in the mathematical physics program. So what is physics at Waterloo like? What made you decide to go there?

I took up engineering with all my interest, but now the lectures in college is not sufiicient to understand the subject; they do it just for exams and marks. Nowadays, I'm getting bored abt the way things are going on. If i continue thinking practically, then i would be kicked out from college.

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO?

eveo said:
University of Waterloo
Ontario
Canada

What is university like over in Canada? I'm at Univerisy of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand. Doing my 3rd year science degree, major in Statistic and Psychology. I was thinking of doing an undergrad degree in Engineering, in Canada or US. Is it a wise call?

r.vittalkiran said:
SO WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Review books and online supplements? Going to the profs during office hours with specific questions might also help.

Anyone out here who knows about Petroleum engineering?

Anyone knows if going to a technical college to get a Dip in PE Tech, then transferring to a Uni later for a degree in PE is a feasible option for a guy with work experience but no experience in this area, cause he wants to start a new career in this area.

Philip Wong said:
What is university like over in Canada? I'm at Univerisy of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand. Doing my 3rd year science degree, major in Statistic and Psychology. I was thinking of doing an undergrad degree in Engineering, in Canada or US. Is it a wise call?

Why not? i think its a good choice if u want to start a new career and a new move to a different field and a different country. Canada or US has many good programs and unis in engineering. Decide on what program u want to take and then go for it!

abelkwh said:
Why not? i think its a good choice if u want to start a new career and a new move to a different field and a different country. Canada or US has many good programs and unis in engineering. Decide on what program u want to take and then go for it!

the question was, if I already have a undergrad degree. Do I have to do SAT or anything similar before I was allow to apply for a placement in US?

Philip Wong said:
the question was, if I already have a undergrad degree. Do I have to do SAT or anything similar before I was allow to apply for a placement in US?

If u already have an undergraduate degree, u would not need to take SAT or ACT, most Unis in US will accept u based on yr first degree and also yr high school or college results.

As for the engineering program that u intend to pursue, they will assess the requirements based on the courses u have taken. If u are already a science graduate in hard sciences then u should have no problems fulfilling the pre-requisites of chemistry, physics and pure math and calculus.

As for Canadian Unis, they do not need yr SAT, they only need to know yr first degree grades or GPA and then yr college or A level results.

abelkwh said:
If u already have an undergraduate degree, u would not need to take SAT or ACT, most Unis in US will accept u based on yr first degree and also yr high school or college results.

As for the engineering program that u intend to pursue, they will assess the requirements based on the courses u have taken. If u are already a science graduate in hard sciences then u should have no problems fulfilling the pre-requisites of chemistry, physics and pure math and calculus.

As for Canadian Unis, they do not need yr SAT, they only need to know yr first degree grades or GPA and then yr college or A level results.

I have not don't any chemistry in my degree, don't ask me why, all I could say was is due to the different between both system. And to be honest, I was not proud of my current GPA or my results from college...any glimpse idea what GPA should I be having to have a glimpse of getting into the degree?

Philip Wong said:
I have not don't any chemistry in my degree, don't ask me why, all I could say was is due to the different between both system. And to be honest, I was not proud of my current GPA or my results from college...any glimpse idea what GPA should I be having to have a glimpse of getting into the degree?

For any engineering program, u would need to have pre-requisites of Physics, Chemistry and Pure Math, each of these has to be at the equalivent of GCE "A" level standards of at least a D or C grade min or in US or Canada standard of 60% min for u to be admitted in any engineering program. Also u would need to have a min GPA of at least 2.o for the less competitive programs and at least 2.5 to 3 for the more competitive ones.

So it all depends on which Uni that u choose and also the program.

So what unis of programs do u intend to pursue? Perhaps if u let me know, i can advise u further and what are yr high school courses or grades and also yr first degree courses and grades.

Where do u plan to go? Canada or US to study? Both have pretty similar program kinds but different requirements to start with.

abelkwh said:
For any engineering program, u would need to have pre-requisites of Physics, Chemistry and Pure Math, each of these has to be at the equalivent of GCE "A" level standards of at least a D or C grade min or in US or Canada standard of 60% min for u to be admitted in any engineering program. Also u would need to have a min GPA of at least 2.o for the less competitive programs and at least 2.5 to 3 for the more competitive ones.

So what unis of programs do u intend to pursue? Perhaps if u let me know, i can advise u further and what are yr high school courses or grades and also yr first degree courses and grades.

Where do u plan to go? Canada or US to study? Both have pretty similar program kinds but different requirements to start with.

As I said from earlier posts, I went to college (or as I recall, high school in north america) in New Zealand. I and most college fellow students were the unfortunates one, because we are the first year to undertaken the new education systems known as NCEA (upon with you earn either you pass, or failed of the particular crietia; in pass section, there is also pass, pass with merit, and pass with excellent. BUT they all give you the same amount of credits no matter if you get pass, merit, or excellent). So I don't know how to tell you how my "grades" were in college, because nobody then really knows how to compare the so call marks between students. As for my university grades so far, I'm believe I have C average, I'm trying to push it up to C+ or B- this year.

As for where do I wanted to go, I'm not so sure myself yet (if I have a choice I would preferred somewhere in LA because I got relatives living there, yet overall I don't mind too much). But I'm sure I need a fresh start with a new career, because I was too lazy for my pass two years (hences my grades...). I have my minds on programes that goes alone the line of robotics, with more towards hardware then software (somehow I just don't really like programming). Can you make any suggestions?

p.s. Well ofcourse Icould make the wildest dream, and saying irresponsibliy "I wanted to get into MIT". But I know my limits AND MY GRADES arean't going to get me anywhere near. Well at least not in the near future.

abelkwh said:

adding to my last post, I have not done any chemrsity papers in my university degree (and I've done up all my points at level 100, the department won't let me do anymore level 100 papers in second half of the year). Currently I'm doing two level 100 physics (to prepare myself for engineering) and a level 200 math paper. is this sufficiently enough?

also in the university I'm studying now, generally c- = 50%, c =55~60% (depeding on the department). and then grades will go up with every extra 5%. meaning a A+ is 90%+

Philip Wong said:
adding to my last post, I have not done any chemrsity papers in my university degree (and I've done up all my points at level 100, the department won't let me do anymore level 100 papers in second half of the year). Currently I'm doing two level 100 physics (to prepare myself for engineering) and a level 200 math paper. is this sufficiently enough?

also in the university I'm studying now, generally c- = 50%, c =55~60% (depeding on the department). and then grades will go up with every extra 5%. meaning a A+ is 90%+

The best thing for u to do now, regardless of what grades u have or grade system is to look up the engineering degree that u are interested in and then look up for the unis that have such a program in yr chosen area, ie. LA in california. Then look up the unis with the program that u have targets on and then look at each site and see what the requirements are and then from there, apply if u have satisified the requirements, otherwise, try to take the courses required for fulfilling the requirement at the current uni that u are taking yr degree and then apply as a transfer student from there!

ar! does transferring process strict over there? especially from another country?

another thing, a friend of mine. He is doing his master in engineering now, in the same uni as I'm. He wanted to ask, if he want to apply to for an postgraduate course what are some requirements he have to met before the application process is to be considered?

US and Canadian Universities are very welcoming to transfer students and its not hard at all to get transfers as long as u satisfy their requirements!

As for graduate programs such as masters program, transfers are rare and not so easy, cause most masters course work programs have very few transfers, but that does not mean its not possible! If yr friend is interested then he has to search for the program that he is interested and the uni/ program that he is interested and check out from each uni/ program as they all differ in their requirements for transfers.

The other day, i read about new engineering degrees in Mechatronics, and other which are indeed combination of different subjects like optics and electricals etc. I am wondering that since they are old options all combined, do i have to twice or thrice more than the normal degree of engineering? i am much curious about this thing.

What about ME, I am starting university in 3 months.

AlexES16 said:
What about ME, I am starting university in 3 months.

What do u mean by how about ME? what do u want to know abt ME? where r u starting and in what year? Which uni? and where r u from ?

abelkwh said:
What do u mean by how about ME? what do u want to know abt ME? where r u starting and in what year? Which uni? and where r u from ?

Hello =). Well i am from El Salvador and i love math and physics, it looks like in ME you see a lot of Physics and Math and you see how does affect everyday technology. Also i will like to know 3 other things: 1)In which feel of ME you see more math and science 2) Will be good to get a degree in physics? and also the engineering 3) At the time i don't see a master degree or Phd here in my country, so how can you go to other country and study?.

I will go to national universitiy of El Salvador(looks like is the only one that have a tiltle that is international approved)

here is the link: http://www.ues.edu.sv/
http://www.ues.edu.sv/facultades_carreras.html

the pensum: https://www.academica.ues.edu.sv/co...a.php?carrera=I10503-1998&facultad=ingenieria

PS: I am working on my english skills, sorry for the mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

cronxeh said:
1st question: if you see yourself as making something that matters in life, go for engineering. if you see yourself as being the next einstein, but you arent that good in mathematics or in geometric perception- go into engineering.

science (physics, chemistry, biology, etc) is for people who are willing to get paid less money, to work long hours and often times with little progress due to uncertainty in your work and due to the unknowns in sciences. research for a scientist is a combination of academic excellence, perseverance, and drive of curiosity. if you like teaching others or thinking of a career such as college professor this might just be the best option for you.

engineering (chemical, mechanical, civil, aerospace, electrical, etc) is for people who don't want to be journalists or accountants or customer service representatives because they want to make a difference in life, because they want to see their product - to be able to look at it and admire it with all the 5 senses. engineering is for those who want to make this world a better place, by taking serious responsibilities in everything they do, with a sense of righteosness. you might be smiling, but if engineer is lousy in his work, a lot of people will die, and a lot more might suffer. engineers get paid well compared to scientists.

now there is also a deviation from science which has a name of 'medical physicist'. those people are basically engineers, than scientists, and hence is their pay in 100k range/yr.

choose wisely, but if you are torn between the two like i am - go for both. get a dual degree in science and some engineering that interests you. for example: a dual degree, BS in Physics and BS in Electrical Engineering. Both majors are interrelated and would be a valuable addition to each other.

i'm a student in physics and chemical engineering. if you find everything interesting - go for this mix. chemical engineering is the universal engineering field. in combination with physics it creates an extremely broad range of knowledge and skills that employers will find useful.

Hey can i have a Licenciate in Physics and be a Mechanical Engineer?