Where should I start with advanced mathematics during my holiday break?

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, The person is currently on a three-month holiday and is looking for a challenging mathematics assignment at the post-secondary or pre-undergraduate level. They have a strong foundation in trigonometry, polynomials, and basic calculus, but are struggling with partial differential equations. They have access to undergraduate mathematics books but are unsure of where to start. They are willing to dedicate one month of their holiday for this assignment and are open to any area of mathematics. They are 15 years old but are advanced for their age. They are also interested in exploring the concept of polynomials in different arithmetic systems and have been introduced to second-order differential equations and LaPlace transforms.
recon
I'm in the middle of my three-month holiday and would like to have an assignment in mathematics, at the post-secondary/pre-undergraduate level. I already know basic trigonometry identities, polynomials (factor and remainder theorems) and very basic calculus (I am stumped by partial differential equations). I'm above average in my mathematics class, and have access to decaying undergraduate mathematics books (full of bookworms, yech) that were handed down to me by a friend. Those books cover almost everything: number theory, Fourier series, differential equations, matrix theory, numerical analysis, etc. I have not started on these books, because I simply don't know WHERE to start.

I'm willing to sacrifice the next one month of my holidays for this assignment, so make it TOUGH, but still accomplishable within at least 2 months. I don't have a preference for an area in mathematics. I consider myself to be a fairly fast learner, and I like it when I know what I'm working towards.

Oh, I'm 15 years old, but am more 16/17 than 15, being the youngest in my class.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's a more exploratory problem:

What facts about polynomials are still true when you're using a different arithmetic system? One example is for all of your arithmetic to be done modulo 3.

Here are some interesting examples to ponder:

When you're doing arithmetic modulo 3, what do you think about the polynomial [itex]x^3 - x[/itex]?

When you're doing arithmetic modulo 8, what are the factors of the polynomial [itex]x^2 - 1[/itex]?

Last edited:
Have you solved a second order differential equation yet? If you haven't look into all steps needed to solve those.

Also look at LaPlace transforms.

1. Why do students beg for homework?

Students may beg for homework because they want to improve their grades, catch up on missed assignments, or challenge themselves academically.

2. Is begging for homework a sign of laziness?

Not necessarily. Sometimes students may genuinely want to learn and do more work, but they may not know the best way to approach the teacher or express their desire for more homework.

3. Should teachers give into students begging for homework?

It depends on the teacher's policies and the individual situation. Some teachers may be open to giving additional homework if students show a genuine interest and effort in learning. However, it's important for teachers to balance workload and ensure that students don't become overwhelmed.

4. Can begging for homework be harmful to students?

In some cases, yes. If students constantly beg for homework and become overwhelmed with too much work, it can lead to burnout and negatively impact their mental and emotional well-being. It's important for students to have a healthy balance between schoolwork and other aspects of their lives.

5. How can teachers handle students begging for homework?

Teachers can address the situation by having open and honest communication with the student. They can also provide alternative options for students to challenge themselves or improve their grades, such as extra credit assignments or additional resources for independent learning.