Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field....

hi,
    i'm conducting a research in studying the behaviour of hydrogen atom in an electric field and hoping to carryout the stark effect expeiment.i found a hydrogen tube in the lab but the following issues have risen...

(1) how do i produce around 100,000 v/cm electric field?
    (2) how to connect the hydroen tube to this field? (whether to apply above field to both ends or place the tube in between the field)

i browsed through the internet and found absolutely nothing about carrying out this experiment.so if there are people who've carried out the experiment can help me with this?

-amal mirando-

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2
    Re: behaviour of hydrogen in an electric field....

anybody got ideas?.............

4. Apr 2, 2010 #3

Read any General physics book and you will find how to make ana electric field with the specific charge and so on. The rest of the experiment you have to use your mind

5. Apr 2, 2010 #4

hey,thanks for the idea....i have found an induction coil which is capable of producing the required field.....

6. Apr 2, 2010 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fields can be applied right through the walls of your tube. Assuming the tube is longer than it is wide, plates above and below will have closer spacing and thus reduce the voltage you need to generate. The field strength you mention sounds awful high--you will probably tear the electrons off their nuclear to produce a plasma. Where did you get that value?

7. Apr 2, 2010 #6

thanks for the idea...the above mentioned field is what Stark provided in 1914 to verify stark effect..my idea is to witness the splitting of spectral lines ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook