Bell's inequality when efficiency < 1

In summary, the conversation discusses the insertion of (9) in (7) when the efficiency \eta < 1. The conversation also touches on the use of conditional expectation and the algebraic origin of replacing 2 with 4/\eta - 2 in Bell's theorem. The conversation concludes by discussing the probabilities and expected value in the context of a detector with a probability \eta to detect a particle.
naima
Gold Member
Hi PF

Somebody gave me this link
could you help me to understand why (9) has to be inserted in (7) when the efficiency [tex]\eta < 1?[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that a part of the answer is here
but i do not understand eq (6):
[tex] <ab>_{coinc} = <ab>/(\eta_A \eta_B)[/tex]
why do this conditional expectation must grow?

I found the algebric origin of the fact that in Bell's theorem we replace 2 by [itex]4/\eta - 2[/itex]
suppose that a detector has a probability [itex]\eta[/itex] to detect a particle
we have four possibilities when a pair is created:
1) left and right not detected
2) left detected but not right
3) right detected but not left
4) left and right detected
the probabilities are:
[tex] (1 - \eta)^2 [/tex]
[tex] \eta (1 - \eta) [/tex]
[tex] (1 - \eta)\eta [/tex]
[tex] \eta^2 [/tex]
the observer cannot count the first case events
We have 2) + 3) + 4) = [itex]1 - (1 - \eta)^2) = (2 - \eta) \eta[/itex]
the conditional probability of 4) knowing that 1) did not occur is
[tex] \frac{\eta^2 }{ (2 - \eta) \eta} = \eta/(2 - \eta)[/tex]
the expected value Bell = [itex] \eta/(2 - \eta)<=2[/itex] implies [itex]Bell <= (4/\eta) - 2[/itex]

1. What is Bell's Inequality?

Bell's Inequality is a concept in quantum mechanics that sets a limit on the correlations that can exist between different particles. It states that the outcomes of measurements on entangled particles cannot be explained by a local hidden variable theory.

2. What does it mean when efficiency is less than 1 in Bell's Inequality?

When efficiency is less than 1 in Bell's Inequality, it means that the measurements being taken are not perfect. This could be due to factors such as measurement errors or imperfections in the experimental setup. It is important to take this into account when interpreting the results of experiments involving Bell's Inequality.

3. How is efficiency calculated in Bell's Inequality?

Efficiency in Bell's Inequality is calculated by comparing the number of measurements that result in the expected outcome with the total number of measurements taken. This can be expressed as a percentage, where an efficiency of 100% indicates perfect measurements and an efficiency of less than 100% indicates some level of imperfection.

4. Why is efficiency important in Bell's Inequality?

Efficiency is important in Bell's Inequality because it can have a significant impact on the results of experiments. If efficiency is not taken into account, it can lead to incorrect interpretations of the data and potentially false conclusions about the nature of quantum mechanics.

5. How does efficiency affect the violation of Bell's Inequality?

Efficiency can affect the violation of Bell's Inequality by potentially reducing the strength of the violation. This is because imperfect measurements can introduce noise into the data, making it more difficult to observe the expected correlations between entangled particles. However, even with less than perfect efficiency, violations of Bell's Inequality can still occur, providing evidence for the non-local nature of quantum mechanics.