1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending of members made of several materials

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    when given a non homogeneous cross section, i know that i can find the bending(normal ) stresses by transforming the cross section into a homogeneous one by multiplying the area of one of the materials be 'n', where n=E1/E2,
    then i solve normally, finding the centroid of the new cross section, finding the moment of inertia, and then simply using stress=-y*M/I, finally when calculationg the stress for the second material(the one i transformed), i multiply the answer i got by the same'n' i used.

can this method be used to calculate the shear stress somehow?? how would i find the shear stress in a non homogeneous cross section,

if stress=V*Q/(Ib) how do i calculate Q and I? can i use the same normal as in normal stress
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2
    Exactly. That is how you do determine the stress needs of whatever is fastening the two materials together, be it glue, welds or some other discrete fastener such as rivets.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook