1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bending of waves around obstacles and the effect of wavelength

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    why does the wavelength of light or sound waves affect the degree of bending?I know the mathematical formula for fringe width,but i want to know the physical reasons behind the phenomenon of bending.
    Taking the example of light passing through a small slit,the huygens principle talks about wavelets,but why do wavelets of red light spread more than those of blue light?[i know this is in some way related to the wavelength of waves,but i don't exactly understand the concept physically]
    to be more specific,since wavelength is the distance between successive wave fronts,how does this distance affect the spread of waves after passing through the slit?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2012 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

It is to do with scaling. The basic principle of diffraction is that a 1 micron wavelength wave diffracted by a 1 micron object should diffract the same if it were a 1 metre wavelength incident on a 1 metre object.

This is why there is always an ever-present a/[itex]\lambda[/itex] factor in diffraction equations.

In truth, the Huygens-Fresnel theory can't explain the wavelength dependence that well, the Kirchoff integral though is more accurate since it is a direct solution to the Helmholtz equation.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook