Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Benefits of induction coil over an alternator?

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    I'm just wondering about what benefits there are to building / using an induction coil as opposed to other devices to create devices for spark gap experiments.

I am referring to the induction coils with a primary winding and secondary windings with enormous numbers of turns - similar to experiments that I have been seeing that duplicate the experiments of the early electrical pioneers - non induction heating coils.

Wouldn't one be able to create a spark gap, for experimenting with, by use of a custom built alternator to do the same thing as the induction coil does without the requirement of having to build a device that requires up to hundreds of thousands of turns in the secondary winding?

is there any real benefit to using an induction coil?

disclaimer: i'm not an engineer so this is perhaps a very basic question for some of you.

your thoughts??,
    thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted