Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Berkeley, stop the pseudoscience

1. May 16, 2015 #1

nsaspook

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. May 16, 2015 #3

wabbit

Gold Member

Look, phone! Must draft law. Better now.

5. May 16, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's also illegal to bring radioactive material into Berkeley. Even one disintigration. Oh, and tritium exit signs are mandated.

6. May 16, 2015 #5

wabbit

Gold Member

Problem solved, then - no computing device, phone included, must be allowed in the area.

7. May 16, 2015 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

8. May 16, 2015 #7

wabbit

Gold Member

Oh my, this sounds really dangerous - they should close off that place to children at least.

9. May 16, 2015 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Warning: Viewing this post will result in radiation exposure.

10. May 16, 2015 #9

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Just typing that message in California causes exposure.
    14806516?region=US&size=600x400.jpg

11. May 17, 2015 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

Off with their heads.

7aaf04166453514caea582107c1dbb02.jpg

12. May 17, 2015 #11

mheslep

Gold Member

13. May 17, 2015 #12

OCR

14806516?region=US&size=600x400.jpg

14. May 17, 2015 #13
    That picture is so disturbing.

15. May 18, 2015 #14
    I found this old paper online last night:

https://www.aarst.org/proceedings/1990/1990_09_Startling_Radon_Risk_Comparisons.pdf

The point of it was to compare the dangers of radon gas to other dangers in a way that would get people's attention so they would radon-proof their homes. As it says, people are scared of nuclear power plants, but apathetic about radon. The author is not sure why, but wanted to put some ideas out about how to make people more frightened of radon, simply because the evidence is that it kills thousands a year.

I think what's going on is that conspiracy theorists thrive on denial of the conspiracy by "authorities" and they lose interest when the announcement of danger is forthright and insistent. The thrill, for them, is in uncovering secrets someone is trying hard to hide. They don't get worked up about the dangers of radon because no one is trying to hide them, but the whole cell phone denial of danger has that sweet smell of "cover-up" that is so alluring.

16. May 18, 2015 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think it is simpler than that: with radon, there is no one to blame, so no one to benefit from covering-up the danger. That explains the lack of conspiracy theory.

The "why people don't care" issue is broader and while it is probably partly the above, it is also likely just the fact that radon is a silent/latent danger.

17. May 18, 2015 #16

mheslep

Gold Member

I'm inclined toward Don Quixote syndrome as a motivation: nobly saving the world against the powers that be (ego gratification). If there are no windmills to conjure as dragons to slay (faux evil products), no ego gratification. Without dragons the Don might be forced to confront an absence of productive activity, i.e. actually designing or building phones, businesses, and, well, we can't have that. Unfortunately Berkeley has turned the tale on its head, embraced the crazy and put the Don in charge of the kingdom.

18. May 18, 2015 #17

wabbit

Gold Member

You are being unfair to the Ingenious Gentleman here, his quest may have been fanciful but it was nobly inspired : )

19. May 18, 2015 #18

mheslep

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook