1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli Numbers, Euler-Maclauring Formula - Math Methods class

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Bloch-Gruneissen approximation for the resistance on a monovalent metal is

(a)For T->[tex]\infty[/tex], show that [tex]\rho[/tex]=(C/4)(T/[tex]\Theta^{2}[/tex])

(b)For T->0, show that [tex]\rho[/tex]=5![tex]\zeta(5)[/tex]C[tex]\frac{T^{5}}{\Theta^{6}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The section is on Bernoulli numbers and the Euler-Maclaurin Formula. Several definitions including x/(e^x-1)=sum->(Bn*x^n)/n!, Bernoulli Polynomials, Reimann-Zeta function, etc.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part (a) I see that as T->infinity the upper integration limit goes to zero, thus I may approximate the integrand giving (as the integrand) x^5/[(x+x^2/2!+x^3/3!+...)(-x+x^/2!-x^3/3!+...)]. Can I just multiply this out, simplify, and integrate term by term? If so, over what integration limits?

For part (b) the upper limit goes to infinity so I'm guessing I need to do the integral by substituting some definition of the Bernoulli Numbers?...

PS - Sorry if the equations are unclear. I'm new to LaTex. Help with that would be appreciated too.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Yep! (You have a sign wrong though ...)
    Same as before, you just think of the upper limit as a small parameter.
    Try expanding everything but the [itex]x^5[/itex] in powers of [itex]e^{-x}[/itex].

As for LaTeX, just put the beginning and ending tex and /tex commands around the whole equation:

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3
    I guess you mean the sign is wrong in the expansion of [tex]e^{-x}[/tex]? What is it's expansion?
  5. Dec 6, 2008 #4
    Isn't that what we did for part (a)?

Thanks for the LaTex tip!
  6. Dec 6, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

I mean an expansion like

[tex]{1\over 1-e^{-x}}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty (e^{-x})^n[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?