Bernoulli's equation and a water tank

In summary, the water squirts from the hole with a range that approaches zero as y goes to 0. The range also approaches zero as y goes to h, but the maximum range is at some height y between 0 and h.
notagenius08

Homework Statement

A water tank of height h has a small hole at height y. The water is replenished to keep h from changing. The water squirting from the hole has range x. The range approaches zero as y goes to 0 because the water squirts right onto the table. The range also approaches zero as y goes to h because the horizontal velocity becomes zero. Thus there must be some height y between 0 and h for which the range is a maximum.

a)Find an algebraic expression for the flow speed v with which the water exits the hole at height y.

b)Find an algebraic expression for the range of a particle shot horizontally from height y with speed v.

c)Combine your expressions from parts A and B. Find the maximum range x_max

d)Find the height y of the hole.

Homework Equations

v1A1=v2A2
p1+.5(density)v1^2+(density)gy1=p2+.5(density)v2^2+(density)gy2
deltaK+deltaU=Wext

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Solving for v2(assuming this is outside the can velocity):

v=sqrt of 2p1/denisty-2p2/density+v1^2+2gy1-2gy2

computer told me to check my answer, so I guess its wrong.

b)distance=rate*time

t=sqrt of 2h/g

x=v*t

haven't tried part c or d cause I can't get part a) right.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I have messed around a bunch and I think the answer for part a) is:

v=sqrt of 2*g(h-y)

Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?

that's what i got for v, what did u get for the max range of x??

I typed in your equation for v and its correct. For my services, you think you could explain a bit how you got it?

Oh just realized that was posted some time, probably doesn't need my services, but . . .

Bluebear, I'm stuck at xmax = sqrt(4y(h-y)) I literally just substituted the answer from A into B.

But I think we have to get rid of y somehow so I'm hesitant to submit this. Have you gotten it yet?

the velociyty for an obj falling in kinematics is sqrt[2gh]
Vf^2 - Vi^2 = 2as where a = acceleration and s = displacement
here a = g since its falling and s = h-y = distance the water has fallen up to the point of the hole.
and Vi = 0
so Vf^2 = 2*g*(h-y)
and solve for v by taking the square root of both sides
and no I haven't tried c yet but it is part of my homework so I will try very soon
hope this helps

the eqn you got i think only solves for x, but not Xmax

y = 1/2 h for max range, i think you can solve for the rest
you had the right idea with sqrt(4y(h-y)) take the 4 out and u get 2sqrt(y(h-y))
looking at inside the radical y(h-y). you want that value to be the largest as possible. But when you increase y, u decrease h-y and vice versa, so the biggest value u can get is 1/2 * 1/2. its a little common sense twist

Last edited:
Great, thanks for your help. You haven't by any chance also been assigned 15.58, the boat problem? There's a thread called "buoyancy force on a steel boat", where I describe my work on it.

Related to Bernoulli's equation and a water tank

1. What is Bernoulli's equation and how does it relate to a water tank?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a flowing fluid. In the context of a water tank, Bernoulli's equation can be used to calculate the pressure at different points within the tank based on the velocity and elevation of the water.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation derived?

Bernoulli's equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant. In the case of a fluid, this energy is made up of the kinetic energy (due to motion) and potential energy (due to position) of the fluid particles. Bernoulli's equation equates the total energy at two different points in a fluid flow, assuming no energy is lost due to friction or other external factors.

3. Can Bernoulli's equation be used for any type of fluid?

Bernoulli's equation is applicable to any type of fluid, as long as the fluid is incompressible (meaning its density remains constant) and the flow is steady (meaning the fluid properties do not change over time). This includes liquids like water and gases like air.

4. What are some practical applications of Bernoulli's equation in relation to a water tank?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications in engineering and science, especially in the context of a water tank. It can be used to calculate the pressure at different levels in the tank, which is important for designing water distribution systems and ensuring the tank can withstand the weight of the water. Bernoulli's equation can also be used to determine the flow rate of water in and out of the tank, and to analyze the behavior of fluids through pipes and valves.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's equation for a water tank?

While Bernoulli's equation is a useful tool for understanding fluid behavior in a water tank, it does have some limitations. It assumes the fluid is incompressible and the flow is steady, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account factors such as friction and turbulence, which can affect the accuracy of calculations. Therefore, it is important to use Bernoulli's equation in conjunction with other equations and principles to get a more complete understanding of fluid dynamics in a water tank.