1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bessel Functions - Eigenvalues + Eigenfunctions

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm given a standard form of Bessel's equation, namely
    [tex] x^2y\prime\prime + xy\prime + (\lambda x^2-\nu^2)y = 0 [/tex]
    with [itex] \nu = \frac{1}{3} [/itex] and [itex] \lambda [/itex] some unknown constant, and asked to find its eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

The initial conditions are [itex] y(0)=0 [/itex] and [itex] y\prime (\pi)=0 [/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a single question assignment, so it's supposed to be reasonably extensive. What troubles me is that as far as I know, with this being THE typical Bessel equation, aren't the eigenfunctions pretty much a given? (i.e. they will be one sine and one cosine function of [itex] \sqrt{\lambda} [/itex] and x, right?)

***Check my understanding please; the eigenfunctions are the functions in the general solution, and the eigenvalues are their respective coefficients? For example if some simple equation has the solution [tex] y(x) = C_1 e^{ikx} + C_2 e^{-ikx} [/tex] then the eigenfunctions are [itex] e^{\pm ikx} [/itex] and the eigenvalues are [itex] C_1, C_2 [/itex], right? ***

I mean I can derive them, but it's not particularly difficult, especially since we did it in class, which makes me wonder if it's really what the professor wants.

The eigenvalues I should be able to determine with the two initial conditions I'm given, I think. So mainly, I'm curious if I'm doing the right thing, or if I'm completely off base with my interpretation of the question.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since when are Bessel functions just sines and cosines?

Not quite, the eigenfunctions would be [itex] e^{\pm ikx} [/itex], but [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are not the eigenvalues (they are just constant used to express the general solution as a linear combination of the two eigenfunctions). The eigenvalues are actually [itex]\pm ik[/itex].

Why? Well, the example general solution you give satisfies the differential equation [itex]y''(x)=-k^2 y(x)[/itex]. Compare that to the eigenvalue equation [itex]Av=\lambda v[/itex] (Where, as usual, [itex]A[/itex] is any linear operator, [itex]v[/itex] one of its eigenfunctions, and [itex]\lambda[/itex] the corresponding eigenvalue). The two eigenfunctions, [itex]v_{\pm}= e^{\pm ikx} [/itex], satisfy the equation [itex]\frac{d}{dx}v_{\pm}=\pm ik v_{\pm}[/itex]. With [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] being a linear operator, this is clearly an eigenvalue equation with eigenfunctions [itex]v_{\pm}[/itex] and corresponding eigenvalues [itex]\pm ik [/itex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook