Best all time mathematicians/physicists.

• Thread starter mprm86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: It's a bit unfair to call him the "worst" physicist.In summary, there is no clear consensus on the best mathematicians and physicists of all time, but some notable names that are often mentioned include Einstein, Gauss, Newton, Euler, Archimedes, Hilbert, Riemann, Cauchy, Leibniz, al-Khawarizmi, Galois, Erdos, and Grothendieck. Some people also mention Ptolemy and Copernicus in relation to their contributions to astronomy and planetary motion.
mathematics:

* Gauss
* Riemann
* Archimedes
* Euclid
* Euler
* PascalPhysics:

* Newton
* Maxwell
* Poincare
* Faraday

Mathematics news on Phys.org
just to be annoying, i will suggest that if you mention someone, you should have actually read at least some of their own writings. if not, then perhaps, just perhaps, you do not know what you are talking about.

My favourite Mathematicians/Physicists-
1) Einstein
2) Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi
3) Euclid
4) Omar Al-Khayyam
5) Alhazen
6) Sir Isaac Newton
7) Abu Rayhan Biruni
9) Ibn Sina

1. HallsofIvy

mathwonk said:
just to be annoying, i will suggest that if you mention someone, you should have actually read at least some of their own writings. if not, then perhaps, just perhaps, you do not know what you are talking about.

thanks mathwonk, you have been an inspiration throughout this entire thread. I honestly read through practically the entire thread several times and at disperse instances just because of the quality of your posts.

and to Outlined, only dead ones count in the debate of greatest of all time, I just wanted to incite a dicussion about Perelman and the current developments in topology. This is not yet my area of focus, but I plan on getting around to it, currently studying prime numbers and set theory. I need to study the geometrization conjecture a bit more, although I believe I understand the fundamental principles of topology.

Mathwonk, speaking of reading the masters in their own words, I was reading Riemann's 1859 paper (calling it that for lack of will to recall the German name), and I was wondering if you could recommend a good book in complex analysis specific for understanding the jump he made in end of page 2 and page 3 to derive the functional equation. Thanks

Newton, Einstein, Gauss, Euler, Neumann, Feynman, Kelvin, Turing, Maxwell, Galilei, Hilbert, Poincaré, Majorana, Landau, Dirac, Faraday, Pedro Nunes (I'm portuguese), etc.

some more that I thought should be mentioned.
Gibbs, Boltzmann, Tesla, Wheeler, Hugh Everett,Eugene Wigner

Last edited:
Pythagoras and Descartes