Best book for Quantum mechanics

In summary, a college sophomore chemical engineering student is seeking a book on Quantum mechanics at a higher level that is not too complex. They have taken general physics and general chemistry classes and are looking for a book with short and conceptual explanations and mathematical relationships. A recommended book is Morrisons "Understanding quantum physics - a user's manual".
SUROJL
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a book on Quantum mechanics(or physics book of higher level)...the book shouldn't be too complex( I know higher level physics is really hard ... I heard). I am college sophomore chemical engineering student. I have taken general physics and general chemistry classes. I was actually in Physics major before but later I decided to study Physics on my own. Most of time I understand the contents to book if it have short and conceptual explanation and mathematical relationship. Anybody know book I can start reading to that I would actually know some Physics? Thnks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course there are lots of them, but from a pedagogical point, Morrisons "Understanding quantum physics - a user's manual" is really good.

FAQ: Best book for Quantum mechanics

1. What is the best book for learning Quantum Mechanics?

The best book for learning Quantum Mechanics is subjective and depends on the individual's learning style and background. Some popular options include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar.

2. What are the prerequisites for understanding a book on Quantum Mechanics?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is typically recommended for understanding a book on Quantum Mechanics. Additionally, a strong foundation in physics and familiarity with mathematical concepts such as complex numbers and vector spaces is helpful.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement the material in a Quantum Mechanics book?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations that can supplement the material in a Quantum Mechanics book. Some popular options include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Quantum Mechanics for Everyone.

4. How long does it take to fully understand Quantum Mechanics?

The amount of time it takes to fully understand Quantum Mechanics varies from person to person. It also depends on the complexity of the book and the individual's background knowledge. With consistent effort and practice, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more to gain a solid understanding of Quantum Mechanics.

5. Can a beginner learn Quantum Mechanics from a book?

Yes, a beginner can certainly learn Quantum Mechanics from a book. However, it is important to choose a book that is suitable for beginners and to have a strong foundation in the necessary prerequisites. It may also be helpful to supplement the material with online resources and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.