Best circuit designing program for designing cpu?

In summary, the conversation is about finding free software to build and simulate virtual circuits, specifically for a large project like building a modern CPU. The participants discuss using Quartus with a university license, creating new blocks to combine circuits, and the option of using VHDL or Verilog on an FPGA. They also mention a website and software options to consider.
Superposed_Cat
Hey all, what is the best software (free) that allows you to build virtual circuits and 'run' them? Something that could support large circuits, such as a cpu?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A modern CPU is a huge project.

I built a very simple 16-bit CPU for university some years ago, I think we used Quartus - with a university licence, not the free version. I don't know how much the free version can do. You'll certainly want the feature to make new blocks out of individual circuits to combine them on a higher level, otherwise the circuit diagram will become way too messy.

Likes Superposed_Cat
mfb said:
A modern CPU is a huge project.
Forgot to mention I'm going for 8 bit. Thank you so much.

Xilinx ISE is alright if you don't mind using 'old' software, I've used that and modelsim for digital logic simulation before. Like thankz said, either VHDL or verilog will work.

1. What is the best circuit designing program for designing CPU?

The best circuit designing program for designing CPU is a matter of personal preference and depends on the specific needs and requirements of the project. Some popular options include Altium, Cadence, and Xilinx.

2. What features should I look for in a circuit designing program for CPU design?

Some important features to look for in a circuit designing program for CPU design include a user-friendly interface, simulation capabilities, compatibility with industry-standard formats, and a wide range of components and libraries to choose from.

3. Can I use a free circuit designing program for CPU design?

There are some free circuit designing programs available, such as KiCad and LTspice, but they may have limitations in terms of features and support. It is recommended to invest in a professional program for complex CPU design projects.

4. How can a circuit designing program help in designing a CPU?

Circuit designing programs offer a variety of tools and features that can assist in designing a CPU. These include schematic and PCB design, simulation and analysis, and access to a wide range of components and libraries.

5. Are there any online resources or tutorials for learning how to use a circuit designing program for CPU design?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for learning how to use a circuit designing program for CPU design. Many software companies provide tutorials and user guides on their websites, and there are also online communities and forums where users can exchange tips and techniques.