Textbooks of celestial mechanics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of celestial mechanics and the desire for more rigorous and mathematical explanations. The Taylor book on classical mechanics is mentioned as a source of interest, particularly in regards to Kepler orbits. Abraham and Marsden's book Foundations of Mechanics is recommended for a more abstract and mathematically-sophisticated approach, while also cautioning that it may not be as helpful for solving practical problems. The conversation also touches on the need for knowledge in Hamiltonian formalism and perturbation theories for a serious study of celestial mechanics.
Santiago24
Hi I'm reading classical mechanics by Taylor and there is a section about Kepler orbits that i find very interesting so i'd like to see more of classical mechanics with space applications. I appreciate rigouros mathematical books, thanks

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're after mathematical rigour? Abraham and Marsden's book Foundations of Mechanics contains a ridiculously abstract and mathematically-sophisticated exposition of celestial mechanics but it won't teach you much physics, or indeed how to solve many practical problems (!).

Likes Santiago24 and vanhees71
Well, mathematical rigor and mathematical sophistication are not the same things.

In any case, I'm also interested in introductory textbooks for Celestial mechanics. I'm under the impression that any serious study of celestial mechanics requires a lot of knowledge of the Hamiltonian formalism and Hamiltonian perturbation theories (but that comes from reading books on analytical mechanics). The few books I know on celestial mechanics are quite hard and somewhat old.

Likes ergospherical, vanhees71 and Santiago24
ergospherical said:
Are you sure you're after mathematical rigour? Abraham and Marsden's book Foundations of Mechanics contains a ridiculously abstract and mathematically-sophisticated exposition of celestial mechanics but it won't teach you much physics, or indeed how to solve many practical problems (!).
I want to see the mathematical derivation of things like why orbits around the sun are elliptical in Taylor book, thanks for the recommendations!

Likes vanhees71

1. What is celestial mechanics?

Celestial mechanics is a branch of astronomy and physics that studies the motions and interactions of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, stars, and galaxies.

2. What is the purpose of textbooks on celestial mechanics?

The purpose of textbooks on celestial mechanics is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and mathematical models used to describe the motion of celestial bodies in space.

3. What topics are typically covered in textbooks of celestial mechanics?

Topics covered in textbooks of celestial mechanics may include Kepler's laws, Newton's laws of motion, orbital mechanics, gravitational forces, perturbation theory, and celestial coordinate systems.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks of celestial mechanics for beginners?

Yes, some recommended textbooks for beginners include "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Roger R. Bate, "Celestial Mechanics" by J. M. A. Danby, and "Introduction to Celestial Mechanics" by Richard Fitzpatrick.

5. How can the study of celestial mechanics be applied in real-world situations?

The principles of celestial mechanics are used in various fields such as space exploration, satellite navigation, and astronomy. They are also important in understanding the motion of objects in our solar system and beyond.