Best Pre-Made Grocery Items for Busy People

• Thread starter Leptos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of pre-made meals and finding healthy options. The individual has a budget for buying expensive groceries but also eats out frequently. They are looking for suggestions for microwavable or ready-to-eat meals that are not too unhealthy. Suggestions include Marie Calender's frozen pot pies, Digiorno pizzas, celery and peanut butter, tortilla chips with salsa, oatmeal, veggie burgers, frozen vegetables with Chinese sauce, Kashi brand frozen meals, Michelina's, Boston Market, and Banquet frozen dinners. Some users also recommend Trader Joe's and Amy's for vegetarian options, and Michael Angelos for high-end frozen meals. The conversation also briefly touches on the issue of spambots and
Leptos
What are some good brands for pre-made meals? I know they're not too healthy, but I'm sure some are better than others.

I have the money to buy expensive grocery products so I want to keep some food in the fridge/freezer/cabinets that don't require any cooking. I normally eat out for at least 2 meals of the day(I typically eat breakfast, 1 big lunch, 1 medium lunch, and a tiny dinner) and although I haven't been eating too well, I've actually lost weight since I started college. I live with my parents and I usually spend an average of $30 a day on eating outside food.

Anyway, what are some good grocery items I can pick up that don't need to be cooked? It's fine if they're a little bit on the expensive side. I know grocery stores sell things like cooked chicken, but what else is there?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean microwavable? Or ready to eat?

TheStatutoryApe said:
You mean microwavable? Or ready to eat?
Microwavable. Or anything that can be prepared in a microwave. Basically anything where I don't have to touch a stove/oven. Snack food suggestions are also more than welcome.

I've often had meals where I eat tortilla scoops with Vienna sausage, a fruit, and yogurt but at least it's not as bad as some Chinese food options. I also eat Japanese takeout quite often, but not everyday since it can easily cost over $20 per meal. I feel like I'm not eating very nutritious foods, but for some reason I feel perfectly healthy and my body functions as well as it did when I ate completely raw foods.

I suppose my best eating habit is that I eat around 3-5 servings of fruit daily and at least 2-3 Activia yogurts daily, but as long as it doesn't negatively affect my studying, I'll eat anything.

Last edited:
I'm rather partial to Marie Calender's frozen pot pies. Their meals aren't bad either, I often take one of their frozen lasagnas to work with me. If you have an oven Digiorno pizzas can be fairly in expensive, I often see them on sale for 4-5 dollars. Unfortunately I think that they have stopped their spinach and garlic pizzas and everything else but plain cheese has crappy processed meat on it. They also have small microwavable pizzas but I have never had those before.

For snacks lately I have been eating celery and peanut butter and tortilla chips with salsa. I also have been keeping a lot of cereal on hand for a quick easy meal. I've been meaning to start buying yogurt but never get to it, I have to carry all my groceries on the bus with me.

Personally I do not mind cooking so I try to steer clear of premade foods. Mostly I eat frozen meals for work and there are not many that are very good.

I'm a big fan of oatmeal. Cooks in 1 minute and all you have to do is add a little bit of fruit and soy milk for a healthy breakfast. Veggie burgers also are also good. Often I'll also go and buy some frozen vegetables and a bottle of some kind of chinese sauce (like general Tso's) and through the veggies in a steamer and add some sauce for a nearly instant healthy meal.

Oats, oats, oats all the way, bro. Every nutritient you need save for Vitamin C.

If money isn't an issue, I recommend Kashi. Fantastic and somewhat exotic dishes, no preservatives, additives, or "flavor enhancers". But $pendy.

Oh and they frequently aren't with the other frozen foods - they're so special they won't even socialize with lower brands. Look in the frozen organic section.

Michelina's are very tasty and not expensive. Boston Market has some nice frozen dinners. My all time favorites are Banquet. For under a dollar each, they have some of the tastiest frozen dinners. (except their new mexican dinners with soy are not that good). My favorite is the spaghetti and meatballs.

Hmmm not a new member showing up this time, having linx to perfect solutions?

lisab said:
If money isn't an issue, I recommend Kashi. Fantastic and somewhat exotic dishes, no preservatives, additives, or "flavor enhancers". But $pendy.

Oh and they frequently aren't with the other frozen foods - they're so special they won't even socialize with lower brands. Look in the frozen organic section.
I looked up the reviews for it and it seems nothing short of excellent. I'll have to find out the best places to buy this stuff.

Andre said:
Hmmm not a new member showing up this time, having linx to perfect solutions?
If spambots and etc. are a problem, perhaps the site staff should implement a new user filtration section(one where new users must post and be verified by staff before being allowed to post in other sections). This may seem rather obvious for large forums, but as you can see, PF is a large forum without a new user filter.

Leptos said:
If spambots and etc. are a problem, perhaps the site staff should implement a new user filtration section(one where new users must post and be verified by staff before being allowed to post in other sections). This may seem rather obvious for large forums, but as you can see, PF is a large forum without a new user filter.

I know the JREF forum don't allow you to post links with less than 15 posts.

If you want high end frozen dinners, Michael Angelos is excellent. Their eggplant parmesan tastes like my home made. Trader Joes (if you have one in your area), and Amy's if you are vegetarian.

Evo said:
If you want high end frozen dinners, Michael Angelos is excellent. Their eggplant parmesan tastes like my home made.

I've had their dinners a couple times. Definitely very good though a bit too pricey for me.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've had their dinners a couple times. Definitely very good though a bit too pricey for me.
For me too. That 98 cent Banquet spaghetti and meatballs is better than a lot of restaurants. People equate cheap with bad and expensive with better, there are exceptions.

I think if I had to choose a last meal before I die, that would definitely be on the plate.

Evo said:
If you want high end frozen dinners, Michael Angelos is excellent. Their eggplant parmesan tastes like my home made. Trader Joes (if you have one in your area), and Amy's if you are vegetarian.
The local supermarket has Kashi foods, but it doesn't have any of the other stuff you mentioned, at least, not on its online directory.

Leptos said:
The local supermarket has Kashi foods, but it doesn't have any of the other stuff you mentioned, at least, not on its online directory.
Trader Joe's is not available outside of it's own chain, but Amy's is everywhere, and I have found Micheal Angelo's at every store I've been to.

I've not tried the Kashi frozen dinners, their cereal was disapointing (goes stale almost overnight) so I haven't been tempted to try anything else by them. But if lisab says it's good, I'd trust her, (but beware, she eats beans in chili). <Runs and hides> :tongue2:

I like the Marie Callender's frozen dinners, especially the pot pies.

Bertolli's is great, too. You do have to cook them on a stove, but you basically dump the bag in a skillet and heat them up for about 10 minutes.

I hear Ramen noodles are pretty good. Cheap as heck too, I remember getting 5 24packs whenever I went to sams club.

Evo said:
Trader Joe's is not available outside of it's own chain, but Amy's is everywhere, and I have found Micheal Angelo's at every store I've been to.

I've not tried the Kashi frozen dinners, their cereal was disapointing (goes stale almost overnight) so I haven't been tempted to try anything else by them. But if lisab says it's good, I'd trust her, (but beware, she eats beans in chili). <Runs and hides> :tongue2:

<sneaks up to Evo's door, leaves a can of beans, rings bell, runs away fast>

bread+ham slices+a cabbage

lisab said:
Answers door, looks down... AAAARRRGGH!

lisab said:
No need to be secretive. I love black turtle beans, and use them in my New England baked beans and in my chili. There is a reason for the name chili "con carne" - not everybody made a simple meat and sauce dish. Without meat (the "carne" part), what would the cooks have used? Beans and chilies!

couscous is good! super fast and tasty with olive oil and sundried tomatoes and olives added!

nucleargirl said:
couscous is good! super fast and tasty with olive oil and sundried tomatoes and olives added!
Oooh, I like your taste in food!

As Evo mentioned, Amy's products are all pretty good to very good.

And a good snack-that-can-end-up-as-a-meal is hummus on slices of baguette.

mmm

I'm hungry.

Michelina's is gross. I rather punch myself in the throad than eat that.

I used to just spend 3 hours on Sunday cooking every meal of the week. Pasta, Chili, Tacos, Potatoes, Chicken, and throw all the meals in the freezer. You can put 6-8 pieces of chicken and lots of potatoes in the over all at once. Takes little effort. And then I'd eat waffles for breakfast which is 2 minutes in a toaster over. It's really not that bad.

Now, I just cook everyday. The only pre-made meals I like are frozen pizzas and Indian food packages you can find in the international aisle (which seriously you know every ingredient and doesn't remind you of chemistry class).

My wife and I cook in batches. Especially the dishes that don't change in texture too much when frozen. Then we pack those in plastic lidded dishes to freeze. Now that the tomatoes are coming in heavily, I have made up gallons of tomato sauce. Tomatoes, fresh garlic, onion powder, fresh basil, Kosher salt, and olive oil, all pureed and simmered to thicken. That is a basic all-purpose sauce that can be the backbone of a pasta sauce, casserole, soup, etc. Last night, my wife took some of the "overage" out of the refrigerator and combined it with sauteed garlic, onions, and hot and sweet peppers, and served that over bow-tie pasta with a dusting of Romano cheese. Simple, and very tasty.

If you don't have a garden, watch for Pastene ground peeled tomatoes to go on sale and make your own sauce using the same ingredients I use. Pastene is about the most consistent canned tomato product we can find around here.

Norman.Galois said:
Michelina's is gross. I rather punch myself in the throad than eat that.
fish2qn4.gif

I love Michelina's! When you're hungry and tired, just pop one of those cheap boxes into the microwave, they're even better after you've had a few drinks!

Leptos said:
What are some good brands for pre-made meals? I know they're not too healthy, but I'm sure some are better than others.

The most difficult problem is the extra sodium or salt that extends shelf-time.

That being said, Stouffer's lasagna followed me through much of my undergraduate years.

turbo-1 said:
My wife and I cook in batches. Especially the dishes that don't change in texture too much when frozen. Then we pack those in plastic lidded dishes to freeze. Now that the tomatoes are coming in heavily, I have made up gallons of tomato sauce. Tomatoes, fresh garlic, onion powder, fresh basil, Kosher salt, and olive oil, all pureed and simmered to thicken. That is a basic all-purpose sauce that can be the backbone of a pasta sauce, casserole, soup, etc. Last night, my wife took some of the "overage" out of the refrigerator and combined it with sauteed garlic, onions, and hot and sweet peppers, and served that over bow-tie pasta with a dusting of Romano cheese. Simple, and very tasty.

If you don't have a garden, watch for Pastene ground peeled tomatoes to go on sale and make your own sauce using the same ingredients I use. Pastene is about the most consistent canned tomato product we can find around here.

Exactly. Best way to go.

I can't stand frozen foods anymore. I remember I used to eat them but now I can't... not even a little bit.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
That being said, Stouffer's lasagna followed me through much of my undergraduate years.

That must have been frightening. Glad you finally gave it the slip.

lisab said:
That must have been frightening. Glad you finally gave it the slip.

It still drunk-dials me sometimes. :frown:

Math Is Hard said:
It still drunk-dials me sometimes. :frown:

"Hello Math? Yeah, it's Las. ... Lasagna. ... C'mon don't pretend you don't know me, that's mean. ... No you're mean, its like every time I ...

oh let's not fight that doesn't do any good, we're ...

I just need to talk to you, when can we ... hello ?"

*waah, haa, haa haaaaaa*

That's him!

Chi Meson said:
"Hello Math? Yeah, it's Las. ... Lasagna. ... C'mon don't pretend you don't know me, that's mean. ... No you're mean, its like every time I ...

oh let's not fight that doesn't do any good, we're ...

I just need to talk to you, when can we ... hello ?"

*waah, haa, haa haaaaaa*

2:15 am, ring-ring...

"Hello, MiH, I'm so sorry...I didn't want to call but...I can't...I can't find my car, I think someone stole my ******* car, man..."

"Yeah I'm outside the bar...can you come get me? I can't find my car..."