Best minor for a Mechanical Engineering student?

In summary, taking more ME classes over a minor in CS would be a good idea because it would help you learn more about what you want to do with your degree and it would be useful in other areas of engineering.
zachdr1
At the university I'm planning on transferring to in a year I pretty much have to take a bunch of technical electives which can come from any STEM department. For example, I could take a bunch of theoretical physics classes that will count towards my degree or I can take more ME classes that will also count towards my degree. The electives can lead towards a minor in most situations.

I was thinking that a minor in CS would be a good idea since I love programming and have actually been considering majoring in CS, but then I think that it would be more beneficial for me to just take more ME classes.

Do you all think that minoring in CS as opposed to taking more ME classes would be a bad idea?

I have no idea what I want to do with my degree once I graduate, otherwise I would take classes that would lead me towards a career in that field, I just know that I love applied physics which is why I decided to major in ME.

EDIT: I was planning on teaching myself some CS stuff while getting my degree in ME to make myself more marketable before I even found out that my technical electives can be CS classes.

Physics news on Phys.org
zachdr1 said:
Do you all think that minoring in CS as opposed to taking more ME classes would be a bad idea?

Well, not a bad idea, actually. Mechanical Engineering is a broad field, and you could end up working with robotics/mechatronics, where a solid grounding in CS would be helpful.

Also, have in mind that programming skills, in general, are becoming very important in all kinds of jobs (and that includes engineering ones). Mechanical Engineers will need to program using MATLAB, and good programming skills will be helpful if you deal with simulations (FEM, CFD). And while it's not pure computer science stuff (and more number-crunching), you do need to know how to program to write better and more efficient code for those calculations.

ramzerimar said:
Well, not a bad idea, actually. Mechanical Engineering is a broad field, and you could end up working with robotics/mechatronics, where a solid grounding in CS would be helpful.

Also, have in mind that programming skills, in general, are becoming very important in all kinds of jobs (and that includes engineering ones). Mechanical Engineers will need to program using MATLAB, and good programming skills will be helpful if you deal with simulations (FEM, CFD). And while it's not pure computer science stuff (and more number-crunching), you do need to know how to program to write better and more efficient code for those calculations.
Would it be a better idea than just taking more ME classes? I can learn how to program on my own but I'm not sure if I'll ever teach myself any of the pure CS classes which is why I thought minoring in it might be a good idea.

zachdr1 said:
Would it be a better idea than just taking more ME classes? I can learn how to program on my own but I'm not sure if I'll ever teach myself any of the pure CS classes which is why I thought minoring in it might be a good idea.

It depends.

What aspects of mechanical engineering interests you most? Aerodynamics, machine design, structural analysis, heat transfer? Electives on those fields are there so you can narrow your focus and learn stuff that you enjoy and/or would want to work with in the future. If you want to stay within the mechanical engineering path, I would consider taking classes in those areas. CS has more in common with EE than with ME, and while a working knowledge of concepts like data structures and algorithms would be helpful in some areas (like robotics and mechatronics), they're practically useless anywhere else if you are working as a MechE.

But again, that's entirely up to you.

Nothing. Just ace all the required courses. I was two courses away from a math minor and three away from a philosophy minor.

No time. Would have cost too much GPA.

What is the best minor for a Mechanical Engineering student?

There is no one "best" minor for every Mechanical Engineering student, as it depends on individual interests and career goals. However, some popular minors for ME students include Mathematics, Computer Science, Materials Science, and Business/Management.

Can a minor in a different field benefit a Mechanical Engineering student?

Yes, a minor in a different field can provide a broader skill set and make a student stand out to employers. For example, a minor in Computer Science can be useful for ME students interested in robotics or programming, while a minor in Business/Management can help with project management skills.

Are there any minors that may not be useful for a Mechanical Engineering student?

It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and goals, but some minors may not be as directly applicable to ME as others. For example, a minor in Art History may not provide as many practical skills for an ME student as a minor in Mathematics or Computer Science.

How can I determine which minor is right for me as a Mechanical Engineering student?

It is important to consider your career goals and interests when choosing a minor. Research the requirements and course offerings for different minors, and talk to academic advisors and professionals in your desired field for guidance.

Can a minor help with job prospects for a Mechanical Engineering student?

Yes, a minor can enhance a student's resume and make them stand out to potential employers. It can also demonstrate a well-rounded skill set and versatility, which can be beneficial in a competitive job market.