1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Best Multivariable Calc Textbook for self teaching

1. May 1, 2015 #1
    So i did fairly well in both calc I and II, both being proof based (for math majors, and I got an A in both). I am working a job that allows me to read at work this summer, and would like to teach myself some multivariable/vector calc. I am a physics major, but my school requires me to take the proof based version for math majors. What textbook would you recommend? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2015 #2

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

Marsden and Tromba, Vector Calculus.

This is probably the most beautiful book ever written.

4. May 1, 2015 #3

verty

Homework Helper

That's actually not a bad suggestion. It has problems that really test the material and it uses a "vectors first" approach which is nice. Reading it at work though, that would be difficult IMHO, you would need to do the problems and be quite focused.

One that you could read through but that still contains proofs is Murray & Protter - Intermediate Calculus. I think it's too low level for you because you have done two proof courses already, but if you are reading it in your spare time between phone calls or whatever, it would suffice.

I think you can choose something more grown up though. Advanced Calculus by Friedman for example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted